• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit, Poland (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Not the greatest photo in flight. Early morning light just after sunrise was giving a reddish tint to everything, so I am not sure, is this just Meadow, or Red-throated?

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8366.JPG
    1-IMG_8366.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 1-IMG_8367.JPG
    1-IMG_8367.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 93
Gonna be proved wrong, but I think meadow. Face pattern doesn't accord with my memories of red-throated: I think I see an eye ring and no obvious supercilium. Can't make out bill details...

Another for Meadow.

( because the images shows closed / no wings, thus suggestion of how can it fly ).

Okay then, thanks! I will still rather show you a Meadow than miss something better :) Pipits are a long standing mystery to me, especially in autumn.

Okay then, thanks! I will still rather show you a Meadow than miss something better :) Pipits are a long standing mystery to me, especially in autumn.

learn their calls, then it gets easy. and the frequency of their "hops" in flight (meadow hops fastest ;) ). as to the ID of the bird in the pics i was hesitating but meadow probably is right. there are so many red-throated passing around even in germany (not to say how many in romania, 2 weaks ago and still), the black moustache is quite extensive for a meadow pipit and we don't really see its supercillium. still, structure and the pattern of breast striation looks better for meadow pipit.

Last edited:
"learn their calls" to me as an advice is similar to when people tell obese ones "just don't eat so much" or depressed ones "try to be more positive". It's perfectly logical with the slight handicap of being largely impossible. To me it all sounds the same in separation. I can identify a longer melody, I can also tell if you play me two sounds in a succession which was higher. But a single short piip doesn't hold any practical information for me, no matter how much I try. I should probably just start recording everything, but to be honest, it's a bit of a chore for a hobby. So even knowing the drawbacks, I still prefer to take pictures and try to learn how to ID from them, it just sometimes runs into problems such as difficult light and not very clearly marked individuals.

"learn their calls" to me as an advice is similar to when people tell obese ones "just don't eat so much" or depressed ones "try to be more positive". It's perfectly logical with the slight handicap of being largely impossible. To me it all sounds the same in separation. I can identify a longer melody, I can also tell if you play me two sounds in a succession which was higher. But a single short piip doesn't hold any practical information for me, no matter how much I try. I should probably just start recording everything, but to be honest, it's a bit of a chore for a hobby. So even knowing the drawbacks, I still prefer to take pictures and try to learn how to ID from them, it just sometimes runs into problems such as difficult light and not very clearly marked individuals.

The call of Red-throated is quite distinctive once you hear it - a rather drawn-out, sharp call which gets your attention.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back