• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC New 7X42 (1 Viewer)

So when you could choose one of both for the same price, I guess it's just up to the size and ergonomics difference? And maybe resale value of the slc. They seem to optically perform quite similar, shame I can't directly compair them.

Last edited:
Lew,

I prefer it over all other 7x42 because it offers the widest sweet spot just like some 7x50 (Fujinon, Docter) but with a noticable wider FOV as those and it´s quite sharp even at the edge. It offers also a remarkable ease of view. It is IMO the best low light performancer among the 7x42s. If one can live with the 200g additional weight compared with Leica or Zeiss this could be something for those who prefer very good optics. Ergonomics are quite good but here you better try for yourself.

Steve

I have in the last months got hold of a late, pristine condition 7x42 SLC neu and agree with Hinmark - almost entirely. For me the ergonomics are excellent. Personal choice will always be different to varying extents and for me though it is superb it is not my absolute favourite, largely because it is that bit heavier. On the other hand it is extremely robust, the focuser is very even, the dioptre control the best design for my taste, and as said the image quality stretches pretty much across the whole diameter. If the handling and weight work for you then there is no doubt that this is a top flight 7x42. One BF member has been putting his to good use across all the continents for years and it sounds like it has never let him down over countless thousands of observations.

Addition : perhaps I should add having now read the intervening comments that as a 7x fan I own and have tried Ultravid HD+, Dialyt ClassiC (BG/AT*P*), Victory T*FL, EDG and the SLC neu together without glasses and though each is of course different every one of them is a pleasure to use and there is nothing about any of them that is an issue to me - in the sense of detracting from the enjoyment of using them, when properly set up. You just have to try them and decide for yourself, as always. I do have favourites among them but won't say which (I did but have quickly deleted the comment!), because another's individual taste isn't going to help you. Now if we move to comparing against 8x I would have to say that for me the recently discontinued 8x42 SLC is a more compact, lighter glass and that its very contrasty, luxuriant view is more exciting to me but then an 8 is not a 7.

Tom

Tom

Last edited:
Lew,

The SLCnew 7X42 is superb. The improved coatings make its view nearly indistinguishable from the EL line. I directly compared a 7X42 SLCnew to an 8.5X42 EL and the only difference in image quality was magnification.

I've compared my Ultravid 7X42 to a few SLCnew models and, if I was buying today, I might buy the SLC instead of the Ultravid. My eyes are not improving with age and I've grown dependant on the wide sweet spot in my SE 8X32. The sweet spot in the SLC is simply the best of all the 7X42's.

I've considered replacing my Ultravid 7X42 with the SLCnew 7X42, but I just can't justify it at this point in time.

I wouldn't worry about brightness with any of the top 7X42's. My Ultravid performs best in low light, the FL is probably brighter, and the new SLC is certainly going to keep you birding long past sunset.

Best of luck...
John

John, you didn't find the EL a bit cooler in colour than the SLC neu? Otherwise my findings are the same as yours.

Tom

Steffan,

I'm keeping the Ultravid for many reasons. I was getting sloppy with the IPD setting (6mm exit pupils are often too forgiving), so I started setting it as low as possible for my eyes. Believe it or not that resulted in: minimal CA, a wider sweet spot, and better DOF. Contrary to popular belief, I now find it is just as important to precisely align my eyes with 6mm exit pupils as I do with my SE's sensitive 4mm exit pupils.

There's no question the Ultravid delivers a superb image. The new SLC, with improved coatings, also delivers a superb image and, at this level of excellence, it's a matter of personal choice. I will say that the Ultravid must have been optimized for low light conditions because that's when I enjoy it the most. On dreary, rainy days I go birding because I have the Ultravid!

Happy birding.

John

Interesting, John... I was using my 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus yesterday in dreary rainy conditions early in the morning and felt just the same. Sometimes I think sunlight is the biggest enemy of seeing things clearly, paradoxically! Rain on colourful leaves in subdued lighting - magic.

Tom

Interesting, John... I was using my 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus yesterday in dreary rainy conditions early in the morning and felt just the same. Sometimes I think sunlight is the biggest enemy of seeing things clearly, paradoxically! Rain on colourful leaves in subdued lighting - magic.

Tom
An old thread that brings back many memories.
Interestingly, I just finished cleaning my 7X42 Ultravid after several hours of non-stop birding...at Cape May.
My eyes have improved so much I now use my bins without eyeglasses. I may say more about that later but it's a truly wonderful experience.

My eyes have improved so much I now use my bins without eyeglasses. I may say more about that later but it's a truly wonderful experience.
Well, congratulations! ... and please do. Suddenly I realize how little good news I seem to have heard lately.

Had a second (or is that third!) look at some 7x42 slc's today while shopping in town.I have to say,after looking through these there is nothing that would stop me from choosing them over the ultravids.The model I inspected was a gem.What really impressed me was the excellent depth of focus,field of view and ease of use.They might not be quite as bright as the ultravids?,or is that the swaros slight yellow colour bias?

What also really surprised me was the weight..yes yes I know they're heavy on paper but they're really quite pleasant to handle.The build quality is also very reasuring.

My only gripe is the focus wheel.Harder to turn in one direction and I usually prefer a good two finger focus as opposed to a one and a half!

How do others find the focus on these?

In short..these are a fantastic pair of 7x42 binocs,just wish I could have left the shop with them ;)

Matt

I agree with all you say apart from the focus; they are very comfortable to hold despite the greater weight. Mine is a recent acquisition from another Birdforum member and so has not yet had vast use, but definitely enough for a slightly qualified opinion. The focus wheel offers a little more resistance than other makes but I like it - it does nothing inconsistent in the way of resistance or difference between direction of travel.

In summary I'd say they are excellent but despite that I'm not in love with them, and I am in love with the Ultravid HD Plus. It might be partly to do with the slightly yellower cast, but I can't really put my finger on it. Taken out for the day on their own I'm still happy as a sandboy using them though. There is just one thing I would criticize in use: it would be nice to have detents along the way on the eyecups as with more recent SLCs and ELs. I find one of them tends to wind itself back in a bit from the pressure of my face, which affects viewing.

The dioptre adjustment is the best idea that I have come across in my limited experience. The only one I really can change without taking bins from my eye; I like that you don't have to pull anything out that can affect focus as you adjust.

Tom

I love the 7x42 size and am jealous of my wife's FLs. It's too bad the size isn't more popular. It would be nice to see Swaro do an updated version.

Well, congratulations! ... and please do. Suddenly I realize how little good news I seem to have heard lately.

Seconded; would love to hear! (Addition after posting: have been away from the forum a couple of weeks so posted similar response without quite realizing!)

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back