• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! Another PDA or a smartphone? (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
MY Dell Axim X51v pda hit the deck and bit the dust today, totally gutted now. I've lost some data naturally but it was so useful both in and out of work. I was running the Collins Bird Eguide on it as well as GPS software, plus several programs that were work related.
My question is, do I look for another PDA or take the bull by the horns and get a smartphone? I've already got a perfectly good pay as you go mobile phone that does everything that I want a phone to do.
I would like to run the Eguide again, as well as the work software so any device would need to be windows compatible.
Give me some suggestions please:t:

MY Dell Axim X51v pda hit the deck and bit the dust today, totally gutted now. I've lost some data naturally but it was so useful both in and out of work. I was running the Collins Bird Eguide on it as well as GPS software, plus several programs that were work related.
My question is, do I look for another PDA or take the bull by the horns and get a smartphone? I've already got a perfectly good pay as you go mobile phone that does everything that I want a phone to do.
I would like to run the Eguide again, as well as the work software so any device would need to be windows compatible.

I have an iPod touch, which is incredibly useful. It's much more useful than any PDA I've had. I'm not sure what you run at work or how much Windows compatibility you need. My iPod can display Office documents, and I have Nat Geo field guide on it. But it sounds to me as if you need a Windows Mobile device, so you may be better off with a PDA.

Alan

My HTC smart phone does everything my HP PDA did - but watch out for screen size - most have much smaller screens than your PDA had so that's a compromise. Mine (HTC Touch HD) is an exception with a large hi res screen, which happily displays Memory Map and the RSPB Interactive Bird Guide etc. And the GPS is built in which is a bonus...

Got an Iphone and have to say its probably the best smartphone I have ever had, my work HTC device pales in to insignificance with the all round usefulness of the Iphone, web browsing, email and birdguides all work extremely well, I now have tomtom on it so its my sat nav unit as well, mated with the tomtom car kit its a very good quality handsfree phone. Take out the apple care warranty (bought through ebay as it was a lot cheaper) and you get excellent service and support for 3 years, plus a guaranteed 2 day exchange process if it should ever fail.
Plus more apps than you could ever want
As you can tell a very happy user

Oh and 24 x 7 access to Birdforum from where ever I am

John, quite like the sound of the HTC Touch, as it runs windows mobile. Plus I can buy it sim free and stay pay as you go. Be nice having GPS built in, I was using a separate GPS unit with my PDA.

Steve, looked up the price of a sim free Iphone...... tooo much! Looks like a cracking piece of kit but just too expensive for me. I hardly ever use the phone, £20.00 of credit can last me months so I'm not wanting to start on any sort of monthly plan as the minimum I can find is still treble my normal usage.

Taken the plunge, got the HTC Touch 2 phone on order, on contract with unlimited web access for less than £20.00 per month. Thought about just buying the phone but it would cost almost the same as the total of the contract so it was a no brainer really.

Thanks for the heads up on this range of phones John.

Taken the plunge, got the HTC Touch 2 phone on order, on contract with unlimited web access for less than £20.00 per month. Thought about just buying the phone but it would cost almost the same as the total of the contract so it was a no brainer really.

Thanks for the heads up on this range of phones John.

My pleasure - hope it works out well for you!

J

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back