• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day trips birding in Vietnam? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for that Glenn(?),
Is there a particular good spot for the crocias and other goodies?
James

From the bottom (restaurant and lake), you can come back up along a new footpath (roses and hydrangeas! sorry!) which goes parallel to the main track to the left of the big stand of bamboo. The forest to the right of this footpath is good for Crocias etc at the moment, though it probably depends where the berries and fruit are. Slaty-backed Forktail now come onto this footpath near the children's swing, because they made a small pool nearby. From here, up the steps to the (new) campsite field and the forest/bushes around the sides of the field are also still good. You can gain access to the forest interior by (a) crossing the dam and finding a very steep path upwards into the forest (just before the new riverside path they are constructing) or (b) walking up the stream at the other end of the lake using the rocks as stepping-stones or (c) starting from the footpath by the enormous fig tree and following a large rubber water pipe into the forest.

THank you Glenn, all sounds very complicated but i’m sure it is more obvious when you are there! How is the site actually accessed early in the morning? Is the gate and ticket office open at that time?
James

It's a small area, so you can just look at everything.
The "box office" doesn't open until about 8AM, but you can drive down to the car park any time and pay on the way out.

This may be too late.

However, for one place, I would find it hard to beat Cúc Phương National Park. Good birding all day, every day. If possible, I’d advise at least a (cheap) two-night stay.

When I was there, the food was both incredible value (even the ‘luxury’ menu) and fantastic.

Reasonable access from Hanoi, too, with helpful, resident rangers. A well-developed (and mapped) trail system.

Thanks Glenn,
Does the site have a proper Vietnamese name (for the taxi driver)?
James

Try "Vuon Ong Le, Duong Da Lat - Ta Nung", but I would write it for the taxi driver, rather than try to pronounce it.

I talked to Mr Bao (VietNam Wildtour) and he says he has discussed with the owner how to develop the Ta Nung site without affecting the birds/wildlife. He thinks the massive recent changes will have little or no effects on birding there. I had no problem finding the Crocias on Feb 2nd this year - photo attached

Attachments

• Crocias-OngLe.jpg
    Crocias-OngLe.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back