• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Nature Trek 20-60x80 question (1 Viewer)

stu52

Hi All

just a quick question due too the lack of reviews for this scope anywhere on the web.

I am looking at buying a cheap but useful spotting scope to tide me over till I have saved enough money for a Swarovski scope.

I am looking at the Hawke nature trek 20x60x80 2017 model for £249 has are they ok for the money and what are your thoughts on them?.

I do not want to spend anymore then this so I can upgrade to the Swarovski quicker :t:.

cheers stu

Last edited:
Hi,

we really can't tell w/o having looked through it - and since it's rather new, chances are slim...

Since the advertising doesn't tout ED glass (as with higher priced Hawke models), we can safely assume a fast achromat objective which will lead to a certain degradation of sharpness beyond 40 or 45x plus some color fringing.
Field of view of the zoom EP is not too terrible with 36/1000m at 20x and 20/1000m at 60x - I have seen narrower zooms from expensive brands.

The question is really if that fast achromat has a good figure - if yes, it can be a nice instrument although I would prefer a 30x wide EP for it which is unfortunately unavailable.
If not, you hopefully have bought it someplace with a good return policy...

On the other hand there is an angled Fieldscope ED50 with the MC2 zoom for 13-40x in the classifieds for 300 quid - that one will give great views for sure and in a very compact package - and you either can sell it without loss when you get the big swaro or keep it as a compact option.

Joachim

Hi,

we really can't tell w/o having looked through it - and since it's rather new, chances are slim...

Since the advertising doesn't tout ED glass (as with higher priced Hawke models), we can safely assume a fast achromat objective which will lead to a certain degradation of sharpness beyond 40 or 45x plus some color fringing.
Field of view of the zoom EP is not too terrible with 36/1000m at 20x and 20/1000m at 60x - I have seen narrower zooms from expensive brands.

The question is really if that fast achromat has a good figure - if yes, it can be a nice instrument although I would prefer a 30x wide EP for it which is unfortunately unavailable.
If not, you hopefully have bought it someplace with a good return policy...

On the other hand there is an angled Fieldscope ED50 with the MC2 zoom for 13-40x in the classifieds for 300 quid - that one will give great views for sure and in a very compact package - and you either can sell it without loss when you get the big swaro or keep it as a compact option.

Joachim

Hi Joachim

many thanks for the reply and fantastic advice I really appreciate it :t: I am going to squirrel away the money for a swarovski spotting scope its the way forward. cheers stu

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back