• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The full name of "Charles M. N. White" (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Minor addition to the HBW Alive Key entry for:
whitei
[…]
● Charles M. N. White (1914-1978) British colonial administrator in Northern Rhodesia/ Zambia, ornithologist, anthropologist (syn. Apalis thoracica bensoni, syn. Prodotiscus regulus, syn. Pternistis squamatus).
[…]
= Charles Matthew Newton White (1914–1978), … etc., etc.

See his Obituary in The Ibis 121 (1979), p..232:
CHARLES MATTHEW NEWTON WHITE
Charles White died in Oxford on 7 September 1978. He was born in Preston, Lancashire, on 30 August 1914, and educated at Preston Grammar School and Balliol College, ...
Or, for additonal details, for example; here (p.8 and onwards) … and elsewhere.

Enjoy!

Miss Kathleen White

Short revisit to some of the birds of Mr. White ... with some tiny, minor additions.

If we´re to trust the last sentence of the Obituary of Charles White (here), I think we can expand the entry for his sister, commemorated in (as in today's HBW Alive Key) ...
kathleenae
● Kathleen White (fl. 1940), sister of Charles Matthew Newton White (1914-1978)
(subsp. Batis margaritae, syn. Guttera pucherani verreauxi).
... into; miss Kathleen A. A. White (fl. 1978), sister of ... and onwards.

I assume she was the one C. W. Benson were in contact with. As Mr. White was "seemingly content to live on his own" I doubt Benson was referring to a daughter (and, if so, a namesake).

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014) makes the same conclusion (here).

For what it´s worth.

Björn

PS. Following a Google search for "Kathleen White" it looks like she was still around in 1986, at least she´s seems to have been mentioned in "The Year's Work Report of Council 1986", BOU, in The Ibis 1987, (as of here, unseen in full, and her name is not visible in this preview). Could be worth checking up. For anyone keen.

Following a Google search for "Kathleen White" it looks like she was still around in 1986, at least she´s seems to have been mentioned in "The Year's Work Report of Council 1986", BOU, in The Ibis 1987, (as of here, unseen in full, and her name is not visible in this preview). Could be worth checking up. For anyone keen.

It includes this:

... publication of the Birds of Wallacea ... was greatly aided by the late Miss Kathleen White, sister of the later [sic] Charles White, one of the authors, granting an interest free loan to the Union of £4,000.

Last edited:
Kathleen Alicia A. White was born in the first quarter of 1922 in Preston, Lancs. and died in the first quarter of 1987 in Oxford, Oxfordshire. Source: England & Wales Deaths, GRO Indexes, 1969 - 2007.

Cheers

kathleenae

Wow! Thereby not only (as I wrote) "some tiny, minor additions" ...

Thanks to Mike and Paul, we now suddenly have her as: Kathleen Alicia A. White (1922–1987)

Well done! :t:

A general question on syn. Prodotiscus regulus described here as https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00222935608655825 ''Prodotiscus whitei''. What is the first and middle name of R.B. Horniman? Actually it is to much for my intelect to understand the history of his publication here. Was that pamphlet published in 1940 or not? I would assume he is somehow related to Frederick John Horniman family.

As well I am wondering why IOC World bird list consider Apalis thoracica whitei instead of Apalis murina bensoni. Is it because of the logic described in OD here? It's about https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/125290#page/141/mode/1up and https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/125291#page/212/mode/1up .

Last edited:
Although Grant says that R.B. Horniman died in WW2 I can find no casualty record for this name. The facts suggest to me that R.B. Horniman was actually a pseudonym of the aforementioned Capt C.H.B. Grant and this was some sort of elaborate game.

Captain C.H.B. Grant obviously did exist (although I wondered..) and "knocked about" in Tanzania between the wars...

P

Last edited:
Horniman's 1940 pamphlet names were suppressed for the following reasons:

See here

https://digitalgems.nus.edu.sg/shared/colls/blsea/files/BulZooN_v11_part11-5965bd96731f5.pdf.

What is interesting is that the same names were republished by Horniman in 1956 in:

Annals and Magazine of Natural History
Series 12
Volume 9, 1956.

Seems like there was stoush between AMNH staffers and our presumably English chap.

As for who he is that's trickier...Even Vaurie was unable to contact him in 1956.

I wonder if he wasn't even a real person and this wasn't some sort of elaborate game.

P

The pamphlet was (re)published in 1956 at the behest of Capt. C. H. B. Grant who said in an appendix to the paper that Horniman died during the 1939–45 war.

Last edited:
Opinion 480: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/34657374

The names as published in the 1940 work were all partially suppressed (suppressed for the purposes of the principle of priority but not for those of the principle of homonymy). This means these names they cannot become valid, and the same names (re)published in a later work are preoccupied by the original ones, hence cannot become valid either.
This also implicitly recognizes that the 1940 work was validly published and that the original names are all available.

Although Grant says that R.B. Horniman died in WW2 I can find no casualty record for this name. The facts suggest to me that R.B. Horniman was actually a pseudonym of the aforementioned Capt C.H.B. Grant and this was some sort of elaborate game.
Grant wrote "during", not "in" the war, though: technically, this does not imply more than temporal coincidence of the two events. Based on the documents published with Op. 480, CMN White would appear to have known Horniman too.

Grant, Claude Henry Baxter whose dates are generally given as 1878-1958

Henry Claude B Grant's birth was registered in the first quarter of 1879, Kensington London.
Death 9 JAN 1958 • Surrey, England

Quite a military career as a private in the Boer war where he was medalled - rising to the rank of Capt in the Great War.

As for the original question, the availability of Apalis thoracica whitei Grant & Mackworth-Praed, 1937?

To me this name appears available as it has nothing to do with the subsequent suppression of the works of Horniman 1940 & Grant 1956.

Last edited:
Apalis murina whitei Grant & Mackworth-Praed 1937 (now Apalis thoracica whitei) is a nomen novum for Apalis murina bensoni Grant & Mackworth-Praed 1937, which is a junior secondary homonym of Artisornis metopias bensoni Vincent 1935, which is regarded as a synonym of Apalis bamendae strausae Boulton 1931 (now Apalis chapini strausae).

Because we have two 'bensoni' placed in the genus Apalis, the younger one cannot be used.

Moreover: If a name got replaced due to secondary homonymy after 1960, the replacement name must be used only as long as the two homonymous names remain treated as congeneric; if this cease to be the case, the secondary homonymy disappears, and the original name must be reinstated. But if the replacement occurred before 1961 and the substitute is in use, as is the case here, the original name is thereby made permanently invalid and cannot be reinstated -- whitei is now deemed to have permanently replaced bensoni; bensoni would remain invalid even if Apalis thoracica (and with it the bensoni of Grant & Mackworth-Praed) and A. chapini (and with it the bensoni of Vincent) were to become allogeneric.

Last edited:

Captain C.H.B. Grant obviously did exist (although I wondered..) and "knocked about" in Tanzania between the wars...

P

OK supported by the footnote here https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/107766#page/499/mode/1up .

But why should he have used a pen name? He published several papers under his proper name e.g. Apalis thoracica whitei here.

But note Whites comment here:

Horniman is only one of many people whom I known prior to 1938 and which whom I lost touch during this period.

Last edited:
Am I right if Guttera edouardi chapini was not described by White 1943 as claimed in Avibase but by FRADE, 1924, Bul. Soc. Port. Sci. Nat., Lisbonne, 9: 129 ? Surely dedicated to James Paul Chapin (without having seen the OD). I think Avibase is with his reference partially wrong.

Am I right if Guttera edouardi chapini was not described by White 1943 as claimed in Avibase but by FRADE, 1924, Bul. Soc. Port. Sci. Nat., Lisbonne, 9: 129 ? Surely dedicated to James Paul Chapin (without having seen the OD). I think Avibase is with his reference partially wrong.

Frade F. 1924. Notes d'ornithologie africaine. Bulletin de la Société Portugaise des Sciences Naturelles, 9: 136-140.
...with the name on p. 139: https://books.google.com/books?id=mTJMAAAAYAAJ&q=chapini

The author and date on Avibase ("White, 1943") seem to be those of Guttera edouardi kathleenae. (White CMN. 1943. Three new races from northern Rhodesia. Bull. Brit. Ornithol. Cl., 64: 19-22. https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40587457)

Martin, OD unseen by me (in full), but Peters' Check-list of birds of the world, vol. 2 (1934), list it as: "Guttera edouardi chapini Frade ... 1926" ... (here)!?

Maybe Avibase confused it with "G. e. kathleenae" White, 1943?

It ought to be found in Fernando Frade's paper Notes d'Ornithologie Africaine, published in Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Ciências Naturais, vol. IX/9 (on p.139), as of here, or here (though don't trust Google's alleged year), alt. here. And here it's again "1924" ... ?

Also; note that volume 9 seems to have been published in several different issues/No.s/numbers (apparently at least 24!).

Good luck finding the proper one.

/B

PS. Oups, while I was typing away, back and forth, inserting links ... Laurent was quicker. ;)

Thus, take my post for whatever it's worth.
--

Last edited:
Some additional info on a certain: Kathleen (Alicia Annette) White, (1922–1987), here, with a Photo of the lady herself (and her 'Artwork').

Though, note; her alleged/supposed brother Charles (Matthew Newton) White isn't/wasn't mentioned ... ?

Paul (and Martin), how sure are you, regarding her years (as in #4), and the connection to "our" Mr C. M. N. White?

Are you/we dead-certain she is the lady we're looking for ... or?

/B

... into; miss Kathleen A. A. White (fl. 1978), sister of ... and onwards.

Many facts would count for her as I do not think there are many Kathleen A. A. Whites around this time.

Kathleen Alicia Annette White was born in Preston in 1922 to Charles, a draper manager, and Louise, nee Newton.

Charles White (Father) might point as well to Charles Matthew Newton White. Maybe it is worth to check if his mother was Louise White, nee Newton but I am pretty sure it is her. After thinking again about the case even his third name would point to his mothers maiden name.

And note both are born in Preston.

Last edited:
Kathleen's Batis ssp. and her invalid (Crested/Western/Kenyan) Guineafowl

To me, there are still some pieces missing in this puzzle ...

I guess the main thing to find would be; if Charles (Matthew Newton) White had a Brother (or half-brother?) by the name "Geoffrey Noel Platts White". If so we would have a connection to this "Kathleen Alicia Annette White".

This far I haven't seen C. M. N. White's Parents mentioned anywhere.

But, of course, I agree, many bits and pieces, several coincidences and compliances ('facts' is, to me, a somewhat strong word in this case) do talk in her favour. However, at this point we've got nothing but circumstantial evidence.

I also note that Kathleen's Mother's name seems to have been "Louise, nee Newton", in line with the name of Charles Matthew Newton White (maybe indicating that "Geoffrey Noel Platts White", in his turn, had a different Mother? To me "Platts" doesn't sound/look like a given name, or does/is it?)

Either way, I find it a bit odd that the Artist account (in #17) for this certain Kathleen A. A. White only mentions her brother Geoffrey ..., a solicitor (even if he was the owner of the picture Wyre Dock). Surely Veronica McDonnell & Marjorie Gregson (who researched and wrote the piece) would have found, and noted "our guy", a far more spectacular person than his supposed siblings (as in him being; Colonial administrator, Africa explorer/traveller, etc., etc.). If Kathleen's picture was donated to the Lytham St Annes Art Society, in 2017, wouldn't his (supposed) brother Geoffrey have been mentioned in the Obituary of C.M.N. White (from 1979, in #2)?

Just observations ...

This far, in my notes (she's not included in my MS) I'll keep her as: "Miss Kathleen A. A. White (fl. 1978), sister of ... and onwards [possibly/probably: Kathleen Alicia Annette White (1922–1987)]".

Though, I would naturally, gladly delete that 'possibly/probably' part! ;)

Keep digging!

Björn
--

Last edited:
Either way, I find it a bit odd that the Artist account (in #17) for this certain Kathleen A. A. White only mentions her brother Geoffrey ..., a solicitor (even if he was the owner of the picture Wyre Dock). Surely Veronica McDonnell & Marjorie Gregson (who researched and wrote the piece) would have found, and noted "our guy", a far more spectacular person than his supposed siblings (as in him being; Colonial administrator, Africa explorer/traveller, etc., etc.). [/COLOR]

Could it be that Veronica McDonnell & Marjorie Gregson focus is on arts and not in ornithology? So why mentioning an ornithologist if there is no relationship to arts? He may not that famous at all for them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back