• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Case of the Missing Finches (1 Viewer)

moughans

Hello all!

A few weeks ago, a purple finch built her nest in a hanging plant pot on my porch and laid six eggs. Exactly one week ago, the babies hatched. I've been keeping an eye on them from my kitchen window, and as of two days ago, there were five healthy looking little guys in there. Yesterday when I came home from work in the afternoon, they were all gone - the nest is completely empty. I am reasonably sure they were not anywhere near old enough to fly out on their own, so I have a feeling that something horrible happened to them, but there was no evidence of that either - I feel like if a larger bird had gotten them, the plant pot or the nest itself would be disturbed, and there would be some detritus on the porch, maybe even blood or something. But they're just gone - completely gone. The nest looks perfect, the plant pot isn't disturbed, it's like they all just flew away, but two days ago their eyes weren't even open and they definitely didn't have flight feathers. I'm attaching a picture from a few days ago.
Does anyone have any ideas of where they might be/what might have happened to them? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-20170516-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20170516-WA0008.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 85
They certainly haven't fledged yet. This is just a suggestion, but do you have any neighbors with kids? A cat might be able to kill and minimize blood, those are the only solutions I can think of.

My neighbor has kids but they haven't been home for days. There's no way a cat could have gotten up where the nest is. It just seems so weird, like in the morning there was a family of seven (five babies and the two parents) and in the afternoon they were all just gone! It must have been jays or woodpeckers - I mean, there's basically just the one option (something ate them), right? Not like the parents would have moved them somewhere else...?

My neighbor has kids but they haven't been home for days. There's no way a cat could have gotten up where the nest is. It just seems so weird, like in the morning there was a family of seven (five babies and the two parents) and in the afternoon they were all just gone! It must have been jays or woodpeckers - I mean, there's basically just the one option (something ate them), right? Not like the parents would have moved them somewhere else...?

Some snakes wil aslo climb bushes to get at nests squirrels too, predation is almost certain it seems.

A

A lot of nests end up predated. Snakes, squirrels, raccoons, weasels, other birds, the possibilities are endless. As far as a visible disturbance of the plant goes, even an elephant can slip through thick undergrowth and not leave a trace.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back