• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration NORTH through Europe, Spring 2018 (1 Viewer)

Blackcaps, Black Redstarts, and Water Pipits wintering in Britain migrate southeast for the summer . . .

That accounts for 'a lot of migration is east, not north'? A very limited number of species that in small numbers (compared to the mass northerly migration) buck the overall movement.

How would you like the title -
Migration NORTH, and EAST (or EASTish) for a limited number of species, and any direction for a limited number of altitudinal migrants, through Europe, Spring 2018.

Nit-picking.

As for the thread, I think an interesting idea if enough persons get engaged. First spring migrants on my land today (which is still snow-covered), a flock of about 30 Rooks and 12 or so Jackdaws. More traditional migrants probably still a couple of weeks away.

Here in the Algarve, our coastal wintering Crag Martins seem to be vacating now - presumably to the Pyrenees or the Alps...? Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and Mipits have become thinner on the ground these days. Nice from Africa was an early (male) W. Subalpine Warbler a week or so ago near home. We've had plenty of House Martins and Barn Swallows too.

Had my first House Martins (31) and Barn Swallows (4) on March 1st here in Corsica. Other migrants I've seen so far : 2 Stone Curlews and a Western Marsh Harrier the next day. Also spotted an early (usually they arrive by the end of the month) Common Swift and a White Stork last Monday.
A visit to small marsh on February 26th produced an Oystercatcher and a Spotted Crake.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back