• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leaking nestbox (1 Viewer)

pandion40

Hi I live in a house built 6 years ago and I was given a nestbox when I moved in. There was waste ground behind my house, it’s taken years but as the foliage covered the waste ground wildlife has moved in. I’d forgotten about the nestbox until I noticed a pair of blue tits had moved in this year.

Unfortunately the box has been ignored and unoccupied for 6 years so when I checked the box there is a decent size crack in the roof, should I do anything to cover it or should I just leave it until the birds are gone.

You may get different personal views from folk on here on this but personally I,d leave them to It It might be Takeing a bit of a chance but If the adult birds are old enough they should recognise danger naturally, If they have which would be the norm now to have a brood in the box, any activity from yourself and I,ll use the term It went pearshaped afterwards you,ll be feeling I,d Imagine pretty gutted and blameing yourself for getting Involved Even thou you were trying to help the birds, I,d personally leave them to it (now) If anything happens to them because of the crack remember you did,nt put the crack in the box.. It is a choice you have to make personally but I,d take the safer one.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll leave it alone for now and look at fixing it after they’ve gone.

It’s a small garden and the box is only at head height so I never expected it to be used. I put it up because it was a gift and for decoration. I’ve become surprisingly invested in them since they moved in though.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll leave it alone for now and look at fixing it after they’ve gone.

It’s a small garden and the box is only at head height so I never expected it to be used. I put it up because it was a gift and for decoration. I’ve become surprisingly invested in them since they moved in though.
Before the Issue of haveing more cats around from new propertys, I had a nest box just over four feet from the ground tucked away in privet and Ivy on a fence and had two or three successful broods of blue tits in there, at other times a few Feet away on the same fence we would get robins nesting only about 3 feet from the ground and were always successful, out in the wild I,ve known robins Nest within a foot of the ground and in recent times not much higher.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back