• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Pesto (Hope I got it right this time!) ..... Thanks for the info on the focus travel past infinity. Sounds like there is some small sample variation, but overall, the design offers little travel past infinity compared to some of the competition. My situation is as Bob described (near sighted but viewing without glasses), but not to any extreme. I was wondering if the sample I had with the short additional travel was a fluke, but I suspect not. In the meantime I purchased a Monarch 7 8X30 so it worked out for the best. It is lighter, brighter, and has a larger FOV. It cost more, but the added value is there for me. However I would like to try another Sightron II should I come across one.

I thought post 1,000 would have got Brock to post, but it did not happen.

Well congratulations gentlemen. You hit 1000 posts with this thread and I didn't even have to contribute over the last three months. ;)

That should make Brock happy.

Oh, and by the way, still use mine almost daily. No issues compared to the first day I bought mine...3 years and just about 3 months ago. I never get tired looking at the image these provide. Are there better units out there optically? Why yes, of course....but I haven't found any even close to this price. ;)

Hi Frank:

Have you tried Pentax DCF 9x32? I believe you did...It's "only" 50$ more expensive, has a better feel in the hand (no protuberances and crests), better build quality (no seam in the rubber armor between the barrels), smoother focus wheel, and similarly sharp optics. The AFoV is nearly the same, and everything else (case, strap, lens covers) is identical.

Peter.

Pesto,

Sadly, no, I never got around to trying it but based on some of the other folks that, yourself included, it sounds like basically the same model optically with 9x magnification. I will give it a go after the holidays.

Well Frank, thanks to your review I just purchased a set of Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 binos from OpticsPlanet; with a 10% off coupon and free shipping, I got them for $169.

I'm looking forward to getting them into the field. I've been searching for a pair of 8x32 binos to use while turkey hunting and early season scouting for big game. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on this set and after reading your review, I felt I couldn't do any better for the money.

Thanks for the review.

Thoughts after a couple of days?

I haven't had a chance to get mine out for more than a minute, but they came through on the most important aspect for me, and that is controlling glare.

When I arrived home on Monday evening, the sun was setting just above a ridge line I like to glass for deer. I couldn't look at the ridge or the field below it with the naked eye, but I was able to see clearly into it while directly facing the sun with little to no glare using the SII.

This was the only reason I purchased these binos was because you stated they controlled glare and stray light well. I would've never believed a bino at this price point would be able to do this, but Sightron hit a home run with these.

Hopefully, I'll have more time this weekend.

Again, thank you for your review.

Hi, new here. Thought I would make a contribution towards reaching 2,000 posts. Has anyone compared the 10x32 to the 8x32 or at least determined if it's an equally good value? I tried to read through a few pages of the thread but didn't find anything. Thanks.

Hi, new here. Thought I would make a contribution towards reaching 2,000 posts. Has anyone compared the 10x32 to the 8x32 or at least determined if it's an equally good value? I tried to read through a few pages of the thread but didn't find anything. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Bird Forum:hi:

I haven't seen any reports on the 10x32 SII but there are a couple of good ones on the Pentax DCF BC 9x32 which appears to be a clone of the SII. It is also made in the Philippines like the SII--probably in the same factory. I have one and I am using it as my car binocular now.

I would describe it as an excellent poor man's 10x32. It has a very good FOV of 351' @ 1000 yards, a generous sweet spot and very good, comfortable eye cups along with solid construction. There are some reviews of it in the link below:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-bc-9x32-binocular

I have some experience with 10x32s and I found that only the top of the line expensive versions like the Nikon EDG were really any good.

Bob

PS: There are a couple of revues in the Pentax Forum--one by Frank D.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Welcome to Bird Forum:hi...

Bob, thanks for the warm welcome and the information. I will definitely check them out. I appreciate the direction. As a noobie, it's so tempting to take the "10 is bigger than 8" approach.

We're in our prime month for birds so my interest level has gone way up.

Hi all,

I figured I'd pop back in this thread and post my thoughts on the SII 8x32s. As a preface, I'd like to mention that this is my first personal set of binoculars. I've used a couple of other very low end Tasco/Bushnells, but nothing of 'quality' until now. Having said that, I'm actually quite familiar with lens aberrations, and have worked with a number of optical systems. (I'm currently grinding through an Optical Science & Engineering PhD program. While our lab works mainly in nonlinear optics w/ femtosecond lasers, I've had a few courses in geometrical & physical optics.)

But... rather than talk about that stuff (I'm still on winter break here, come on!), here are some casual observations...

I've heard a lot about the cold weather focusing problems with respect to the SIIs. I spent some time last week in a tree stand (end of deer season here in NC), with temperatures ranging from 30F to 55F over the course of the morning. During this time, I couldn't detect any noticeable difference in my ability to adjust the focusing knob. I've read some complaints in this thread as to cold weather performance, but can't say that I experienced any problems in that regard. Sure - I didn't throw them in the freezer, but I typically don't observe stuff outside at 0F. Why cry over a situation that'll never happen? The focus knob itself has a very nice feel from lock to lock.

While I've never used the dual hinge roof before, I found that the SIIs fit nicely within my hands. Some users commented on being irritated with the location of the strap lugs and/or raised SIGHTRON logo on the sides, but I never found these to be distracting in the least. I've got medium sized hands (typically wear medium sized gloves), and my fingers seem to fall into place in a position where this is not an issue. (Pinky thru middle fingers in the 'hole' in the center, pointer fingers on the focus, and thumbs below.)

On my scale with the strap but no covers, these come in at 17.75 oz, rounded to the nearest 1/4th oz. They don't feel too heavy while using both hands, but I did find myself using both hands to steady them, and reduce fatigue. 8x is certainly tricky to hold with a single hand, and it was much nicer using both. I can see them becoming a little heavy with repeated single hand usage over the course of the day. (My usage period was probably 40 minutes of every hour, for a 4 hour stretch.)

While some describe the outer surface as hard plastic, I prefer to think of it as a semi-soft rubber. It feels comfortable in the hands. The eye-cups are OK. I don't know if I like the flat surface - maybe something rounded would be nicer - but they aren't bad. There are four 'stops' to the cups, and I found I preferred the 2nd/3rd setting. It felt like the fourth setting resulted in vignetting of the image, but that could have just been me. Who knows.

Optically speaking, they perform pretty well in my opinion. You're always going to have chromatic aberrations in any real optical system, and the magic SIIs are no exception. CA is present, but not overly so - certainly not in an offensive way. With respect to the rest of the Seidel aberrations, nothing is particularly bad. Distortion is well controlled in the center, with the slightest bit of pincushion right along the outer edges. Little field curvature again on the outer edges. Glare is very well controlled.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase. My only nitpick would be with the accessories. The objective covers are fine, but the ocular covers/rainguards not great, to put it politely. Any suggestions on a replacement?

These were picked up for $160 to my door right after Thanksgiving, and seem to be a pretty good value. While I may still end up getting a pair of 6x binoculars for tighter woods viewing, there are no regrets with the SIIs. For most of what I will use them for, they are 'good enough', which is an idea that probably gets forgotten around this place. There's always 'better', and the chase itself is often more enjoyable than the end result... But for most folks' use, it probably doesn't amount to much aside from unnecessary spending. Anyway, I certainly don't think I'd be happier had I spent any more money. If I purchase another pair in the future, it'll probably be a set of Kowa 6x30s. Supposedly they punch above their price point, and I think the 6x would work quite well in the woods.

Last edited:
Speirag, thanks for your observations. Could I trouble you for your brief, subjective opinion of the improvements compared to the low end bins you had. I get the spec differences, I'm trying to understand the higher level view.

I ask because many years ago my brother gave me some Minolta 8x21. They look to me to be a Porro style. I know that at $175 or so the risk is low if I get some SII 8x32s. But I'm wondering what the incremental value will be. Is it something like "there's no comparison-you'll be blown away"? Or more like, "you'll definitely see a difference but..."?

Thanks for indulging a very ignorant person asking a question that's probably hard to concisely answer. But that's all I'm looking for. Clearly they were worth what you paid for them.

Best regards,
Steve

Steve,

As mentioned, the only reference pairs I've looked through were some very cheap Tasco / Bushnells. (I think they were 6x30ish and 10x40ish...) Both of porro design, and one of them was badly knocked out of collimation... so there was a bit of one eye viewing. I wish I had them here so I could do a nice comparison the different aberrations, but they don't belong to me.

Aside from the whole faulty equipment aspect... Badly blurred image around the edges w/ a very small 'sweet spot', very narrow field of view, poor build quality, and so on. It feels like they're more trouble to look through than just using the naked eye.

I think there's a minimum investment required to get enough quality to where the equipment adds to your experience, rather than detracting. The Blue Skies certainly do the trick for the price. For my usage (mostly hunting), I can't see myself needing more. (I'd still really like to try the Kowa 6x30s!)

After a pretty tough hunting season in the woods this fall, I am happy to report that my SII 8x32's continue to be my benchmark binocular against which all others are compared.

They have accompanied me on every single hunt I've made, on the outside pocket of my day pack, and I drag my pack through some pretty nasty stuff. They also spent the day with me on our local Christmas Bird Count, and provided wonderful sharp and bright images all through the dreary, cold 14-hour day from sunrise to sunset.

The ergonomics of the open bridge combined with the light weight makes them a treat to handle in the field.

Since buying them from Optics Planet, I've also purchased two pairs of full-sized 10x binocs - Zeiss Conquests and Leupold Golden Rings - and despite both of those being exceptionally sharp, I've since sold both of those because I find myself always reaching for the Sightrons.

There is just something about them that suits my eyes. The sharpness is great but the color, depth of field and overall view is just very, very pleasant. I've never used a pair of binocs that had so little eye strain over long periods of use.

I'm still looking for a full-sized pair of 10x "birding" binocs, but in the meantime these 8x32's leave me very satisfied. Anything else I buy will have to be their equal in ease of use and image quality, and that won't be easy to match.

Steve H,

Just as a point of reference, one of our semi-regular posters, Bino Boy, purchased the 10x32s and did post some brief comments on this thread. If I were to take a stab at summarizing his observations he felt they were the optical equivalent of the 8x32s with the understanding of the usual differences between an 8x and 10x binocular of a given objective size.

Still using mine almost daily...in addition to a pair of Opticron 6x30s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back