• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted Titmice monitoring questions (1 Viewer)

dohcsvt

First post ever, I love feeding birds and monitoring nest boxes, but I am still new to this and have an unusual family taking up residence and need advice.

Background information. I have been putting up nest boxes for 3 years. The first year a pair of bluebirds took up residence and we fledged 3 beautiful little bluebirds. The second year an obviously non bluebird nest showed up and I removed it , same type of nest 2 days later. Figured I should research it before removing it a second time. Turns out it was a black capped chickadee nest. We fledged 5 awesome little chickadees.

This year we moved a few miles down the road. I put my boxes back out hoping for something. Within 3 days a nest appeared. Obviously not bluebird, and seemed different than the chickadees. I spent a week trying to figure out what kind of nest it was. I work 60 to 80 hours a week, so I have minimal time to sit and watch the nest. Anyway, turns out it is tufted titmice. I understand they are less tolerant than blues for nest monitoring? I was able to monitor the blues and the BCC's almost daily without issue.

Tonight I go to the go to monitor it (have only been found it every 3 days or so) and when I lightly tapped on the box , the momma hoped into the hole, looked at me, jumped out hovered eye level for about 5 seconds two feet from my face then darted into a tree. I quickly monitored found 6 eggs and then departed. I then went to change out my hummingbird nectar and kept an eye on the box from about 50 feet. I never her saw her go back in, but did see her peeking out the hole at me. I was relieved as I did not want her to abandon the nest.

I am going to reduce monitoring to once weekly and hope I do not spook them. I was looking for any feedback I could get from here using your personal experiences? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back