• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead great tit chicks in birdhouse (1 Viewer)

pilnet101

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks we had a lot of activity in our bird house it was made home to some great tits. About a week or so ago we were able to hear baby's in the bird house and we would watch mum and dad go back and forth to collect food. Yesterday the baby's were making lots of noise and mum and dad were busy however today, I had a look to watch and I didn't see the parents going in and out. I listened out for the chicks but couldn't hear them and after gently tapping the box a few times I still heard no noise.

I took the roof off and took a photo with my phone to see what it was like inside (rather than take the bird house down) and unfortunately it looks as though at least 2 chicks, possible more have died.

The photos are below:
https://ibb.co/d9ve85
https://ibb.co/ncsy1Q

We do have quite a few red kites round here I am not sure if these would have been a threat or not? Otherwise I am not sure what happened. I was just wondering what the best thing to do now is? Should I leave the nest alone? Clean it out now, or wait for a while then clean it out?

Thanks,
Elliot

It's been a cold spring, a lack of food could be an issue for an insectivorous bird?

Here in Russia last year, our Pied Flycatchers abandoned eight eggs possibly for this reason.

A

Hi

The website says it does not make a difference? Also the poster does not seem sure all the chicks are gone if I read the post correctly? Best to err on the side of caution?

Last edited:
We do have quite a few red kites round here I am not sure if these would have been a threat or not? Otherwise I am not sure what happened. I was just wondering what the best thing to do now is? Should I leave the nest alone? Clean it out now, or wait for a while then clean it out?

Thanks,
Elliot

Hello Elliot,

First off you can be certain red kites had nothing to do with it! They only eat carrion and couldn't catch a great tit if they tried. Far more likely is one or both of the adults were taken by a cat or a Sparrowhawk. These two together probably account for 75%+ of all passerine deaths at this time of year.

Also sometimes first-time parents just lose the plot and abandon their nests, even with live young. Seems harsh to us, but just part of their learning curve.

Once you are sure all the nestlings are dead then clean out the box to avoid it being infested with parasites which will potentially infect next years brood.

Mick

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. Mick, thanks for the detailed info as well, useful to know! I'll keep my eye on the nest for a few days and then clean it out once I'm sure that it is only the dead chicks there.

Thanks,
Elliot

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back