• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

They dont use the bird house (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I have a bird station, food and water bird feeder in my backyard. Under my porch there have always been 2 birds living there in a nest. I noticed they dont have much room there and sometimes when one of them is using the nest, the other is standing next to the nest so I bought a bird house and also a nesting platform which is bigger than the bird house but after weeks I didnt see then using it so I bought a fiber used for bird nest called sterilized natural coconut fiber which has high ratings on amazon but they still dont use either. The bottom part of the bird house and platform are a little over 7 ft high above the ground ( I measured it ) and their nest is probably just 1 feet higher. I wont throw their nest away but I dont know why they dont use the bird house or platform. I bought the bird house so they can sleep in it and during the day they can hang out on the platform. Not sure if picture will be uploaded but already gave sufficient information.

Attachments

• 20170517_161429-1.jpg
    20170517_161429-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 87
Hi Mobius and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry I can't help with your enquiry, so I've moved it to the Nest Box forum, where I think you're more likely to get the answers and assistance you require. I also subscribed you to this thread so you can find it easily and wil be notified of any replies.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Do you know what the birds are which you're trying to attract?

This is just my thoughts but with the setup they have already with the roof overhead, there really wouldn't be any need for them to move into a box. Whatever you do, please don't disturb the nest they are already in as it would cause them to leave the nest and not come back and if there are eggs or baby birds in them they would desert them. Do you have any idea what species they are? I want to think Swallows but it could be anything.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach ;)

This is just my thoughts but with the setup they have already with the roof overhead, there really wouldn't be any need for them to move into a box. Whatever you do, please don't disturb the nest they are already in as it would cause them to leave the nest and not come back and if there are eggs or baby birds in them they would desert them. Do you have any idea what species they are? I want to think Swallows but it could be anything.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach ;)

Dont know but they look like they barely have beaks

I started seeing them standing on top of the bird house and platform and for the first time I saw one of the birds in the bird house platform. I'm glad they are using it because I nailed it under the porch and all of this costs money. I saw for the first time a baby bird in the nest yesterday and I tried my best to take pictures of the bird like a week ago. What kind of birds are these? I only see these birds making nests under people's porches.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back