• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

stucco repair conflicting with active wren nesting box (1 Viewer)

TylerEngland

Greetings,
We had our home stuccoed early this Spring, and I was eager put my wren box (actually its a nuthatch box) back on the side of our house as soon as this was complete. Just as in every year past, the house wrens moved in right away. The problem is that the stucco was not properly mixed leaving irregular color patches upon curing, and contractor agreed that the whole job needs to be redone. The contractor wants to have his men come in and redo the stucco as soon as the forecast gives them several sunny days because he wants to get paid (understandable). The thing is, the wren eggs have just hatched and I'm worried about what will happen if the nest box was relocated for several days, compiled with the ruckus that would be going on while all of this work is being done in our backyard. I'm very attached to this wren family and I would hate for the parents to get spooked and abandon the babies or for them to overheat or fall to predators if the nest box were to be taken down before they fledge. I really can't even think of a good place in my backyard to temporarily relocate the box for the matter. This is causing me a lot of stress...I'm trying to convince the contractors to wait a few more weeks so that the babies can fledge and I can safely remove the nest box, but I'm not optimistic that they will care. Does anyone have any advice or experience in this sort of situation? It's technically illegal to disturb an active songbird nest right?
Thank you for reading this rambling post!
-Tyler

In general, birds are much less likely to abandon nests with nestlings than nests with eggs, so it's probably OK to move it as long as the old and new locations are inter-visible. And, of course, the closer to the old location, the better.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply! The contractor was surprisingly understanding and agreed to postpone the repair for 3 weeks or so, and hopefully everyone will have fledged by then : ) The poor wrens might only have one clutch in that nest box this season, but I'm very much relieved.

Thank you so much for your reply! The contractor was surprisingly understanding and agreed to postpone the repair for 3 weeks or so, and hopefully everyone will have fledged by then : ) The poor wrens might only have one clutch in that nest box this season, but I'm very much relieved.

On track for a happy ending, good to hear. . ..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back