• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Improving Kowa TSN 821M? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

My brother has a Kowa TSN 821M that he's had for some time. He's contemplating a purchase of a new 82mm Meopta. We were wondering if there is any way (or chance) to breathe new life into it with a newer eyepiece? He has a 27x Wide Angle or LER Eyepiece on it. (I don't quite remember exactly).

He shoots for a living. (Rifles). The Army also gave him a Kowa 77mm Prominar but he doesn't particularly like it. (The old Kowa excels at reading mirage).

Are there any cutting edge eyepieces that he could fit with an adapter that would improve resolution? Zoom is a considered option as well.

I hate to see him spend any money unnecessarily, but then again maybe it's time for a new piece of glass?

It might be worth trying a Kowa 32x Wide multi-coated eyepiece, which has a twist up eyecup, or the Baader Mk IV zoom which a seller on ebay reckons fits directly on the Kowa. See picture.

If you have a good sample of a Kowa 821 it might be worth doing...

Attachments

• Kowa 824 Baader resize.jpg
    Kowa 824 Baader resize.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 297
For shooting, I guess he does not need particularly wide fields? If so, Kowa's 20-60x zoom for the 821 series would be good, it is a sharp eyepiece.

The 821 is the non-fluorite version of the Kowa, so it has quite a bit of chromatic aberration and lacks contrast and sharpness at high magnifications. The Meopta, especially the 82 HD S2, would be significantly better.

Kimmo

I persuaded him to try the 32x eyepiece... I found one for sale. Guess we'll see if it's an improvement. The Meopta S2 is what he was thinking of buying, in fact he's probably going to purchase it as well.

The Meopta S2 is a great scope, your bro has excellent taste. 82mm is a good format, more capable than a 65mm but not as big/heavy as an 85 or 95.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back