• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First bird house (1 Viewer)

I just purchased one of these.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/2e/ef/bb2eef70a7d24c7320811c7dbc89beb6.jpg

I think it’s the coolest thing and super happy about it. It is 13 inches tall 6 inches deep and 7 wide. Entrance hole is 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inches.

What would nests in here? I’m in south western Washington.

I also noticed there isn’t a way to open this to clean it. Is that going to be a large issue?

Do I need bedding?

Thank you in advance for any help

The birds should collect their own bedding....although you could put some out in the garden for them to use. I used to cut my hair and put that out in the garden :)

Cleaning might be an issue. In my experience (I used to go round maybe 100 nest boxes monitoring egg numbers and chick development for a BTO survey), the nest boxes would become infested with lice and other creepy-crawlies. We used to clear out the bedding at the end of each season.

The nest box looks cool but the best boxes (I believe) are the woodcrete versions by Schwegler and others. Apparently, they support much higher survival rates of the chicks due to the insulating properties of the woodcrete. This one is nice?

https://www.nhbs.com/1mr-schwegler-avianex

PJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I figured the lack of cleaning would be an issue. I can figure a way to install a hinge on the bottom I think.

And thank you for the suggestion on houses. I’m sure those are great functionally..... but aesthetically..... hahaha I just stop there. 8-P

Do these dimensions seem about right for the chickadees I’ve seen feeding at my feeder?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back