• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Prominar 663 XD fluorite lens? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Currently I am looking for a good spotting scope of about 65mm, I have noticed, among others, the model Kowa Prominar XD 663mm, which on a website said that I had fluorite lenses, I do not know if this model is really similar to its Big brothers Prominar 773 or 883 ??
Has anyone been able to try or use this model, and if so with what eyepiece?
In comparison with a good swarovski 65 HD model, would it be far below in relation to contrast and sharpness?
Thank you very much for your comments
Wachi

Hi,

the 663 uses was Kowa calls XD glass and everybody else calls ED. The only current Kowa spotter using fluorite crystal is the 883/4 - and then there is the master lens which is very expensive and not really a spotter...

The 663 uses the same EPs as all the other small body bayonet scopes (TSN 600, 610, 660, old single digit TSN & 82SV). It is not compatible with 820, 770 and 880 series EPs.
The main gripe is the current 20-60 zoom which is ok but not more. The other available current EPs are a 30 wide (great) and a 25 LER (specialized use with very thick glasses or for digiscoping).

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back