• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identitfying birds in the Pyrenees Altantiques and the Hautes Pyrenees. (1 Viewer)

BrendaA

BrendaW
Trying to identify more easily some of the birds in the area where I live.

Example today seen several times a woodpecker on the tree , not one of the two woodpeckers I see often but another slightly different . Checked it on net looks very much like an Iberian woodpecker . Understand can see them in Spain , could it be here too as not far from Spain?

Last edited:

Example today seen several times a woodpecker on the tree , not one of the two woodpeckers I see often but another slightly different . Checked it on net looks very much like an Iberian woodpecker . Understand can see them in Spain , could it be here too as not far from Spain?

Hi Brenda,

You could well be right, the Iberian subspecies sharpei of Green Woodie definitely gets into France along the Pyrenees, there was an interesting study done between 2004 and 2009 in the Pyrenees Orientales, Aude, Herault and Gard départements (so unfortunately on the east and not your side ), they caught 29 birds and found 100% of those caught in Pyr-Or were 'Iberian', in Aude it was 70%, with 30% 'intermediate' ie showing mixed plumage features between the 'ordinary' Green and the 'Iberian', in Herault it was very interesting where 80% of the birds were of 'mixed' plumage, with just 10% Green and 10% iberian, finally in Gard it was 30% mixed characteristics and 70% standard Green Woodpecker. They didn't study over on your side but stated that there's a narrow geographical band right to the Atlantic coast on the French side of the Pyrenees where the birds are sharpei, so that's possibly where you are.
The article says that key signs of the sharpei subspecies (if my French is up to scratch!) are : in males the red moustache has only a very thin black border that doesn't go round the rear of the moustache at all and the eye isn't surrounded by black as in Green W, females have a dark grey moustache instead of black in fem green W. The red on their crowns is more orangey-red, with a lot of grey flecks (the George Clooney look!). The last, more difficult to see, difference is the undertail coverts which are plain, they are barred in standard Green Woodpecker. Phew, hope that helps, I'm going to have a lie down now;)

I decided to go and shovel some snow so Madame can get to the house from the road when she returns from her shift, and now this! Whatever next, Scottish Woodpigeon? ;)
So Brenda, you'll have to try and get a good look at your woodpecker next time it visits,see which it responds to - castanets being clacked (Iberian) or an accordion being played (Vert/Green)

Iberian Wood (sharpei) a definate possibility in your (our) area. The furthest north I have seen is Lourdes although they tend to be higher in the mountains.

When I went for the White Backed Wood near Lourdios-Ichere the Iberian was the only 'Green' present in the woods there - I guess this is quite near you. The key is the lack of black 'mask'... In summer young green of both types are very difficult to separate but at this time of the year, with a good view, relatively easy on the facial markings. Call is possible as a identifier but only for the very experienced (I go on views not call).

Thanks for your 'local' input Rosbifs, I was struggling a bit there! I was hoping you'd spot Brenda's thread.

On a purely selfish note, if Iberian is a true species I've just got myself a WP 'armchair tick' :t:

Cheers

Richard

Iberian Wood (sharpei) a definate possibility in your (our) area. The furthest north I have seen is Lourdes although they tend to be higher in the mountains.

When I went for the White Backed Wood near Lourdios-Ichere the Iberian was the only 'Green' present in the woods there - I guess this is quite near you. The key is the lack of black 'mask'... In summer young green of both types are very difficult to separate but at this time of the year, with a good view, relatively easy on the facial markings. Call is possible as a identifier but only for the very experienced (I go on views not call).
Hi Thanks for the advice . No not in the Aspe , live near the plaine de Nay.

Hi Brenda,

You could well be right, the Iberian subspecies sharpei of Green Woodie definitely gets into France along the Pyrenees, there was an interesting study done between 2004 and 2009 in the Pyrenees Orientales, Aude, Herault and Gard départements (so unfortunately on the east and not your side ), they caught 29 birds and found 100% of those caught in Pyr-Or were 'Iberian', in Aude it was 70%, with 30% 'intermediate' ie showing mixed plumage features between the 'ordinary' Green and the 'Iberian', in Herault it was very interesting where 80% of the birds were of 'mixed' plumage, with just 10% Green and 10% iberian, finally in Gard it was 30% mixed characteristics and 70% standard Green Woodpecker. They didn't study over on your side but stated that there's a narrow geographical band right to the Atlantic coast on the French side of the Pyrenees where the birds are sharpei, so that's possibly where you are.
The article says that key signs of the sharpei subspecies (if my French is up to scratch!) are : in males the red moustache has only a very thin black border that doesn't go round the rear of the moustache at all and the eye isn't surrounded by black as in Green W, females have a dark grey moustache instead of black in fem green W. The red on their crowns is more orangey-red, with a lot of grey flecks (the George Clooney look!). The last, more difficult to see, difference is the undertail coverts which are plain, they are barred in standard Green Woodpecker. Phew, hope that helps, I'm going to have a lie down now;)
Hi , thanks for all that , its interesting have printed out. Hope see same woodpecker again today !

'sharpei' not impossible but really not known for your area or anywhere on the plaines! There is a brilliant birder in Benejac (next village) who I asked for advice - Jean-Louis Grange - probably the biggest expert on White-Backed Woodpeckers (and others) in the Pyrenees...

Need to try an get a photo if possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back