• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head combo (1 Viewer)

Ant

North Wales birder
Hi all,
I'm planning on purchasing the sigma 50-500mm in the near future so I'm looking for a new (or used) tripod and head combo that is reasonably light and is quite small when packed. Not sure of the budget yet but I'm planning to get the lens of ebay (approx £500 inc p&p) I'm unsure how much I can afford to spend in total so I'll put my upper limit for the tripod at £250 inc p&p.

Given the budget and requirements I'd look at the Manfrotto and Velbon carbon fibre tripods. The Velbons are the lighter than the Manfrottos, but they do not seem quite as stable. Do you know what type fo head you want? If going for a video head look at the Manfrotto 128 and 701 and the new Velbon (I can't think of the model number but it's about £85).

Thanks for your help Pete.
I think my best bet would be to give some a go whilst at the bird fair.

Thanks for your help Pete.
I think my best bet would be to give some a go whilst at the bird fair.

good plan - opinions and reviews are no substitute for actually getting your own hands on the gear - happy shopping :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back