• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (6 Viewers)

It seems fitting that the last day of the season at the Cap de Ses Salines should be so crammed full of superb birds and certainly a day to remember .
Like most days, I got to the Cap in the dark and sat on my favourite rock watching the sun come up. Soon the sky was full of birds, flocks of Wood pigeon, Starling, Goldfinch, Song Thrushes, Swallows and Linnets. There were several flocks of Wood pigeon which left the Island at daybreak, 200, 350 and a few other flocks numbering about 1,000 birds in total.
A Marsh Harrier left at first light, a Grey Heron followed and a Mistle thrush flew past which is a nice bird in Mallorca. I’m lucky enough to see one or two all year but when a flock of 42 flew overhead, I was a bit overwhelmed. Five more were seen making a superb and very rare total.
Ten species of raptor were seen including Hobby, Black Kite, Bonelli’s eagle, Common Buzzard, Kestrels, Osprey. Red kites, Peregrine falcon, Eleonora’s Falcon and Booted eagles, both local and migrating birds in some cases.
It was a lovely sunny day with white puffy clouds and all in the great company of Lalo, Susana and Antonio.
A big thank you to everybody involved with this year’s migration watch, I have certainly been at the Cap more times than I should have, almost every day at times, so a big thank you to my wife for putting up with me.
Mike

Mike, You never mentioned Robins!
Sunday walk around Son Real.
Very quiet except for Robins, sardinian warblers, Hoopoes, RF Partridges, etc.
Did I mention Robins..Nothing at the hide except Robins and Hermann Tortoise that flew in.
Wonderful butterfies seen including Swallowtails, Speckled wood, Short tailed blues, Red Admirals.
A short trip to S’Amarador showed Marsh Harriers, Kestrels, Cattle and White Egrets, Red crested Pochards, Gadwells, Linnets and...Robins!
Several large flocks of wood pigeons and Starlings seen
Peaceful Sunday

Mike

Yes Mike, there were a few Robins too which I forgot along with the single Black Redstart. Seven wagtails left at first light, a bit dark to see but they were young Yellow wagtail I think, also seen about twenty White wagtails.
Speaking of butterflies, the locals got very excited by a very rare sighting. I didn’t see it and they didn’t know the name of it other than in Spanish. They said that it is an orange brown with blue border. Any ideas? Mike

Yes Mike, there were a few Robins too which I forgot along with the single Black Redstart. Seven wagtails left at first light, a bit dark to see but they were young Yellow wagtail I think, also seen about twenty White wagtails.
Speaking of butterflies, the locals got very excited by a very rare sighting. I didn’t see it and they didn’t know the name of it other than in Spanish. They said that it is an orange brown with blue border. Any ideas? Mike

Hi Mike

Do you know what the Spanish name was?

It's possible it was a Camberwell Beauty, it doesn't really fits the description but it is a known vagrant. Small Tortoiseshell is a better fit but I don't think there have ever been any records.

Another interesting recent find has been a larva of the Oleander Hawk moth.

Martin

Last edited:
A walk to the enterence of Ternelles Valley near Pollensa.

6 Black vultures, 5 Griffon Vultures, Red Kite, Kestrel, Gray wagtails, Blue Rockthrush, Crag Martins,and Ravens seen.

Mike, regarding permission for enterning the valley, do you now have to go with a guide? If so how long does the guide stay with you?

I got my permits from Pollenca Town Hall, but as Mike S points out arrangements seem to have changed - he’s provided the new link.

I really would recommend making a first visit with a guide. I went with a group arranged by Pere from Mallorca Natural Tours, who was great. You do have to be careful to keep to the correct tracks, especially from the gates through the wooded area. Going with Pere gave me the confidence to arrange my own visit next time. It’s a brilliant place to visit.

Stew

Thanks all, I will ask the locals. My thoughts were Camberwell Beauty.
I have been reading up about migrating Wood pigeon, very interesting as I knew nothing about them, I’m not that keen on pigeons but suddenly they have become much more interesting, quite an achievement.
Mike

I read up about Oleander Hawk moth recently so there must have been a reason for it but I can’t remember why. Have any been seen in Mallorca Martin?
Mike

Thks Mike
Here are the links
http://www.ajpollenca.net/ca/visites-ternelles

As you see Pollensa Officials are no longer offering the permit. You have to go to the link
http://www.fvsm.eu/visitas-ternelles/

Here you can see availabilty of permits ( 20 per day)
Cheers
Hi Mike and all,

Unfortunatelly, access toTernelles Valley and the permit system has changed several times in the last year due to changing court decisions(!!). And it may change again in the near future back to the Council (I hope). 20 people are allowed per day and currently you can only get the permit from the owners via the Fundacion Vida Silvestre Mediterranea (the one that runs the vulture centre in Campanet).

Ternelles is NOT open on Mondays and Tuesdays, the visitors must go with a guide from the foundation and you must enter at 9:30am and leave at 3pm. You are not allowed to get in/out earlier/later and you must go with the guide at all time. The guide is a nice chap but not truly a birder, and you are with a group of hikers, walkers and sometimes a few birders, all mixed together. I find all this very annoying, the Council system is much more flexible and the experience much more enjoyable.

I very much hope that the court rules soon in favour of Pollença Council and that we will soon be able to do a "proper" visit as we did with StewB.

In any case, if you wish I can organize a birding tour for you and anyone interested.

Maybe African Monarch or plain tiger butterfly...there have been several seen in the past.

https://www.descobreixmenorca.com/en/butterflies-of-menorca/plain-tiger/

Yes, D. chryssipus has been seen in the Balearic Islands at various times but it doesn't have any blue on it so I would say it's unlikely. The odd things about this species is that there were two funded groups recently, one to monitor the species in Mallorca and the other to eradicate its foodplant, which is regarded as an alies weed!

I first came across this species in the long gone Mallorca Bird Report, with an article entitled "Tiger huntin in Mallorca" by the late John Stagg.

Martin

I read up about Oleander Hawk moth recently so there must have been a reason for it but I can’t remember why. Have any been seen in Mallorca Martin?
Mike

Hi Mike

I don't know of any confirmed records but there must have been at least one recently in order for the larva to be found (unless someone is breeding them locally). This record will be written up by a friend.

Some years ago I read a quote in a 'Rough Guide' to Ibiza and Formentera which stated the various species of hawk moths turn up sporadically on those islands, including Oleander hawk. It was news to me and, of course, there was no information to back up the statement.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I will look for the original article because I’m sure there was a sighting of Oleander hawk moth otherwise I wouldn’t have been reading about it.
The butterfly definitely had a blue border so I have sent a photograph of a Camberwell Beauty to the finder and I will post the reply.
Mike

Thanks Martin, I will look for the original article because I’m sure there was a sighting of Oleander hawk moth otherwise I wouldn’t have been reading about it.
The butterfly definitely had a blue border so I have sent a photograph of a Camberwell Beauty to the finder and I will post the reply.
Mike

I'll be interested in both.

Thanks

Martin

Hello!
Today at la Gola we have two females Pintail and the female Red-crested Pochard is still here too.
The Black Redstarts, Song thrushes and Chiffchaff have already arrived to the park. And of course, more Robins;)

Two Yellow-browed warblers were seen (and photografied) last Saturday in one of the Miradors of Formentor, before arriving to the lighthouse, by a german birdwatcher.

Regards,
Cristina.

Evening walk along fishermans path in Cala san Vincente.
Birds seen included 2 balearic warblers, sardinian warblers, black redstart, 2 blue rock thrushes, 2 Ravens, Booted Eagle, Kestrel, goldfinches, stonechats. And more Robins!!!

Thanks for the helpful replies about shearwaters and boat trips.
I have seen references to the black vultures at Ariant but can't see Ariant on any maps. Where is it?

Hi JeffMoh. Ariany is a mountainous area just outside Pollença on the road to Lluc. There is a feeding area for Black vultures and an observation tower. More Black vultures breed in this area than any other apparently.
I always go to Cuber reservoir for the vultures and recently I went to Ternells Valley which was very impressive, affording fine close views.
If you google Mallorca Bird Watching, Ariany, more details will be available.
Mike

Hi JeffMoh. Ariany is a mountainous area just outside Pollença on the road to Lluc. There is a feeding area for Black vultures and an observation tower. More Black vultures breed in this area than any other apparently.
I always go to Cuber reservoir for the vultures and recently I went to Ternells Valley which was very impressive, affording fine close views.
If you google Mallorca Bird Watching, Ariany, more details will be available.
Mike

Many thanks, Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back