• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

A few short visits to Campanet (Fincas and Farms), Son Serra de Marina (sea and sand dunes), Betlem (sea and mountains).
Birds seen included Audouin gulls, Turnstones (8), Kentish and little plovers, Kingfisher, Booted Eagles, Ravens, Kestrel, flocks of goldfinches and Starlings, Black Redstarts, Song Thrushes, Crag Martins, Linnets, Chiffchaffs, Sardinian Warblers and Stonechats.
Butterflies seen included Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Clouded Yellow, Cleopatra, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, and Southern Common Blue. An Hawkmoth caterpillar was seen..possible Agrius Convolvuli. (see later post)

Hi JeffMoh. Ariany is a mountainous area just outside Pollença on the road to Lluc.
If you google Mallorca Bird Watching, Ariany, more details will be available.
Mike

Hello!
Don't confuse Ariant (the mountain closer to Lluc you are talking about) with Ariany (village next to Maria de la Salut, Central Plains). Only one different letter but some more km far ;)
If I'm not wrong the entrance to Ariant Estate is at the Km 5.3 Road to Lluc (Ma-10). And it is managed by Fundació Vida Silvestre Mediterrànea
http://www.fvsm.eu/ariant/?lang=en
Regards,
Cristina.

Hello again,
this morning at s'Albufereta, two Great White Egret were close to the Road (where the bridge is) together with a group of Little Egret, and a big full moon was still shining in the sky. A wonderful scene.

Cristina.

Hi Cristina, thanks for putting me right. It’s actually wrong on the Internet too so I will write and tell them.
Wasn’t the moon fantastic last night!?
Mike

Hello!
Don't confuse Ariant (the mountain closer to Lluc you are talking about) with Ariany (village next to Maria de la Salut, Central Plains). Only one different letter but some more km far ;)
If I'm not wrong the entrance to Ariant Estate is at the Km 5.3 Road to Lluc (Ma-10). And it is managed by Fundació Vida Silvestre Mediterrànea
http://www.fvsm.eu/ariant/?lang=en
Regards,
Cristina.
Thank you, Cristina. That is very helpful.
Jeff

Salobrar de Campos

Hi. I’m coming to Mallorca (Alcudia) in two weeks and thinking of visiting Salobrar de Campos. Does anyone know if it is still accessible and if it will be worthwhile this time of year?
Ed

Hi ednamex. Yes, it’s all still accesible but best from “Eddie’s Track” which runs down from hotel fontsanta.
In the winter it’s difficult underfoot as it gets very muddy and sometimes deep water too.
It’s always worth a visit with a good selection of waders, Common Crane, many Flamingoes and a good roost of harriers, nearly all Marsh Harrier.
If that track is too bad then you can always drive down the road to Es Trenc beach. There will be good views there too.
I am going there tomorrow morning so I will post here everything that we see so you will have a good idea about what’s around.
Just let us know if there is anything else we can help with and do let us know what you see. Mike.

Hi ednamex. Yes, it’s all still accesible but best from “Eddie’s Track” which runs down from hotel fontsanta.
In the winter it’s difficult underfoot as it gets very muddy and sometimes deep water too.
It’s always worth a visit with a good selection of waders, Common Crane, many Flamingoes and a good roost of harriers, nearly all Marsh Harrier.
If that track is too bad then you can always drive down the road to Es Trenc beach. There will be good views there too.
I am going there tomorrow morning so I will post here everything that we see so you will have a good idea about what’s around.
Just let us know if there is anything else we can help with and do let us know what you see. Mike.
Gear info, Mike. Thanks so much. I’ll definitely go there. Hope you get some good birds tomorrow!
Ed

A great trip to Portcolom to meet up with the big Cheese Mike M. and his wonderful wife Jane.
Thanks for a great and memorable day.
Birds see in this wonderful place included: Peregrine, Kestrels, Red Kites, Booted Eagles, Sardinian and Balearic Warblers, Firecrest, Song thrushes, Thekla lark, Hoopoes, Stonechats, Goldfinches, Serins and Blackredstarts.
How about this unidentified spps? Any thoughts?
Mike

Attachments

• 2FD473C9-F4B5-461F-BC04-CD2665E3091E.jpeg
    2FD473C9-F4B5-461F-BC04-CD2665E3091E.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 62
  • B4B58EA7-3A2A-451D-9D60-4E6BACFD661F.jpeg
    B4B58EA7-3A2A-451D-9D60-4E6BACFD661F.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
A great trip to Portcolom to meet up with the big Cheese Mike M. and his wonderful wife Jane.
Thanks for a great and memorable day.
Birds see in this wonderful place included: Peregrine, Kestrels, Red Kites, Booted Eagles, Sardinian and Balearic Warblers, Firecrest, Song thrushes, Thekla lark, Hoopoes, Stonechats, Goldfinches, Serins and Blackredstarts.
How about this unidentified spps? Any thoughts?
Mike

Seems to have something of the yellow-browed warbler about it..

Stew

It was a great day Mike, thanks.
The bird is a difficult one for me so it will be interesting to see what people think.
It does appear to have a double wing bar but the legs appear black. The supercillium seems to extend well behind the eye so I just dont know.
Sorry about the egg and chips by the way, I feel robbed. Eggs Cubana not quite the same.
Mike

It seems Yellow-browed Warbler it is. I heard one there last week so maybe the same bird. Or..there may be more than one.
It/they arrived after strong easterlies.
Amazing to think that we saw this one in the same tree as last year!
Mike

Last edited:
Short visit to S’Albuferata before the deluge.
Birds seen included: RF Partridges, Great, Little and Cattle Egrets, Kestrels, Marsh Harriers, Redshanks, Greenshanks, Green Sandpipers, Purple Heron, Shellducks, Gadwall, Purple Swamphen, WaterRails, Cormorants, Cetti and Sardinian Wablers, Corn buntings, Hoopoe, Song thrush, Meadowpipit and reed bunting.

And by the tower, wonderful views of a bluethroat

Attachments

• 8FD32FC7-B5B7-4B78-97E2-D81A360653BD.jpeg
    8FD32FC7-B5B7-4B78-97E2-D81A360653BD.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 38
  • C7C33CEC-FC38-48FD-B911-3AAB9E1063D9.jpeg
    C7C33CEC-FC38-48FD-B911-3AAB9E1063D9.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 91D2D92C-CFAD-4DBA-9295-C86F8145DE6C.jpg
    91D2D92C-CFAD-4DBA-9295-C86F8145DE6C.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back