• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification of bird from a painting (1 Viewer)

811ef56e3265f3aabd0ee66224462032.jpg

DYlsh_7VoAAzZDf.jpg

I am trying to identify the bird in this 1645 Danish painting. Because this predates 1869 I will rule out birds of paradise. Before that, there had only been 3 documented birds of paradise skins in Europe and this was certainly not one of them. The specimen has a black forehead, yellow-orange, and red feathers and two long tail wires. It is an early example of taxidermy in millinery. Although the subject is African, the turban is most likely ottoman in origin. I need help finding out the species of the bird and what parts of the bird are on display. Any suggestions are appreciated. :t::t:

BoP had been Identified, sketched and given taxonomic binomials prior to the 1869 date you are using. Linnaeus named the Greater in 1758.
So why discount it, there may have been a head dress on the model, or it may have been from sketches made elsewhere?
Seriously, I am interested to understand your quest as it seems that the painting could do with a cleaning to bring out the colour, but also, do you know for sure it was painted in Denmark, or was it a Danish artist elsewhere?

Also, I trust that you are not looking to recreate the head dress 3:)

Welcome to the Forum.

I think definitely Greater BoP. Other Paradisaea species have red ornamental feathers or yellow head continues over the back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back