• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a monocular (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
I'm partially sighted, have only only one working eye, hence the name, and although I currently have binoculars, rather than get another pair I want a monocular, something like 8x30 or 10x50, in the sub £50 range, but I'm not sure what is out there. I see lots on Amazon but they're mostly from brands I've never heard of. There is a Celestron 10x22 which I might look into.

Zeiss makes a number of small Draw Tube Monoculars but they are rather expensive. They might be worth exploring for your purposes though. Here is a link with their technical data:

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/nature/binoculars/monoculars.html

The three best suited for your purposes I think would be the 6x18; 8x20 and 10x25. They are quite easy to use at normal distances but for close distances the Draw Tube must be extended and this can be awkward the closer you get to the subject.

I have the 6x18 which for me works fine for my casual use. It is handy to carry around in a shirt pocket.

Bob

I bought a Kenko Monoculars Real Scope 8x20 Near Focus for a trip to Alaska where I was mostly using my camera and 150-600 lens, so I wanted something small and light and inexpensive. It has a 30cm near focus, so it's good for looking at little stuff too. It's 34mmx98mm and only 112g and $70 USD.

The optics were good enough and it fit it's role as a small lightweight scope I could use instead of my heavy camera. It easily fits in a pocket. It is not the same quality (build or optics) as a Leica or Zeiss, but it's $70 and 112g.

I used to work with a guy who had very poor vision and used a Leica monocular very often. If you want quality, that's probably a good route to go, but they are like $400-$500. I don't have experience with the Zeiss or Docter mentioned above.

Marc

Hi,

the Zeiss West ones mentioned by Bob are certainly good but not very bright and finding one below 100 quid used will be a lot of luck.

The CZJ/Docter Turmon 8x20 mentioned by Denco is also quite good (good enough for her majesty, Queen Elizabeth II or so I'm told) and might be found inside the budget used. But of course, it's more about pocketability than brightness.

For general birding, I would try to get a CZJ or Soviet 8x30, 7x50 or 10x50 porro monokular - these can be gotten for 50 quid or below on ebay with a bit of patience.

I cannot comment on the chinese made cheap roof prism monoculars which are available for 20-50 quid new - one example might be ok or even good and the next one in the box is a total failure... If you can buy one in person and like the view, go ahead - or use an online store with a no questions asked return policy.

Joachim

I bought a Kenko Monoculars Real Scope 8x20 Near Focus for a trip to Alaska where I was mostly using my camera and 150-600 lens, so I wanted something small and light and inexpensive. It has a 30cm near focus, so it's good for looking at little stuff too. It's 34mmx98mm and only 112g and $70 USD.

The optics were good enough and it fit it's role as a small lightweight scope I could use instead of my heavy camera. It easily fits in a pocket. It is not the same quality (build or optics) as a Leica or Zeiss, but it's $70 and 112g

Marc
Hmm doesnt seem to be available in the UK...

The Celestron 6x30 Outland is basic, and maybe not made now. There may be old stocks somewhere.
The field is claimed as 10.5 degrees, but I think I measured it nearer 9.5 degrees. I quite like it.

There are various 10x42. I chose the zoom version but I shouldn't have.

There are numerous Chinese made 10x50, 12x50, 15x50 and 20x50 monoculars. All the same, same boxes but probably more than ten different brand names. In my experience, mechanically poor, backlash in the focus and some are astigmatic. But sometimes maybe O.K. The advertising for these is way over the top.

All the above are straight through.

The Russian 8x30, 7x50, 10x50 and 12x40 20x60 combo are Porroprisms with elbow.
There is also a plastic Russian 10x46, which I quite like.

There are some upright finders for telescopes that might suit, but they probably have reticles.

There are numerous monoculars out there. It would be best to find a shop and try them.

B.

Telescopes & Tele-monoculars

Cyclops

Telescopes & Tele-monoculars

If you are prepared to venture into the secondhand Ebay etc market, the following models, all under 500g (excluding case), can survive the years in good condition. So if you have a favourable description by an Ebay seller who seems to know his or her stuff, or a chance of a 'try before you buy' purchase, a punt may be on.

Eg research a Soviet Lzos 33T 10x30 single-draw telescope, weight 257g, length 8" collapsed, 12.5" extended, 13.5" extended + lens hood. Near focus distance very roughly estimated 30'. Caveat: narrow field of view. I found the later Soviet Lzos Turist 4 10x30 to be inferior in design (and possibly also in survivability).

Or a Soviet Lzos Turist-p 8-20x32 non-extending zooming 'pocket scope', weight 383g, length 12.5" or 13.1" with focusser screwed out. Field of view at 8x magnification narrow, but useful. Near focus distance at 8x very roughly estimated 20'. I think Binastro recommended 15x zoom as a level of zoom that might be usable unsupported in the field. We are all different, but my experience is the same.

I don't estimate fields of view, but I can safely say that, for the 33T at its fixed magnification, or the Turist-p even at 8x, fields are well below 5 degrees. Ie the two telescopes are tools for observing, or spotting & laying on, rather than scanning at close range.

You say you want a 'straight tube'.

But if you compromise in favour of a porro tele-monocular, then note that the Glanz Micro T-M 7x35 (440g) has a field of view of 10 degrees, and the Glanz Micro T-M 7x40 (462g) one of 9.5 degrees.

Tele-monoculars with a similar specification to the Glanz 7x40 were also marketed under other brand names

Stephen

Last edited:
The Leica Monovid is excellent, but far beyond the OP's budget. The Zeiss monoculars are nowhere near as well built, but almost as expensive. The best monocular in my book besides the Leica is the Nikon High Grade 5x15 ot 7x15. Very light, focuses closer without the need of a screw-on objective lens. Unfortunately, they are also far above the OP's budget.

I would probably go for the Opticrons. Whatever you do, don't get get the Steiner knock-offs of the Zeiss/Docter design, they are terrible.

At some point, you've got to wonder if a lightweight spotting scope like a Celestron Landscout would make more sense than a monocular.

Last edited:
The Leica Monovid is excellent, but far beyond the OP's budget. The Zeiss monoculars are nowhere near as well built, but almost as expensive. The best monocular in my book besides the Leica is the Nikon High Grade 5x15 ot 7x15. Very light, focuses closer without the need of a screw-on objective lens. Unfortunately, they are also far above the OP's budget.

I would probably go for the Opticrons. Whatever you do, don't get get the Steiner knock-offs of the Zeiss/Docter design, they are terrible.

At some point, you've got to wonder if a lightweight spotting scope like a Celestron Landscout would make more sense than a monocular.
Well i want something small that will fit in my pocket. Closest is my daughter's pair of Bushnell 10x25s, which I've commandeered seeing as she never uses them.

The 10x25s that were bought for my daughter a while ago. Quality isnt bad, a bit hazy in sunny weather but useable

fiqeE9I.jpg

Another vote for the opticron monocular.

Mines only the t2 edition but im sure the t4 is just as good. I bought one for £20 on an amazon clearout as a budget start into phonescoping. I now use an opticron piccolo 60mm.

So yeah, it's small and light, the optics are ok to good for what you pay. It's a handy backup to keep in a car or backpack.

Attachments

• 20190428_140746-600x1067.jpg
    20190428_140746-600x1067.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190428_141013-600x1067.jpg
    20190428_141013-600x1067.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160515_192952-800x450.jpg
    20160515_192952-800x450.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 68
Monocular is great for bird watching and it is my preferred option. I used a monocular from ATN before and now I am waiting for their new thermal monocular which I know is going to be really great. They are selling so much cool stuff and it is great when you have something like that and be able to make a video with it. It is my recommendation for everyone that would love to have a really good monocular. They mainly sell hunting gear and everything is really good.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back