• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

Hey guys!

Not seen the feeders at all today delivered a car to Abington Scotland, Left at 5 am just this minute walked in.
I sneaked in a bit of birding though went to Canaforth and a quarry near Leighton moss.

At the lvl crossing on the way to the rspb reserve there were a patch of barnacle geese a new one for me!.

At Leighton I could not identify anything new for me but got some great shots of robins of all things lol, The moment i stepped out the car i was mobbed by mallards one even got in briefly lol.

sorry off topic but had to share lol, I got some photos too hehe.

karpman

P.s Glad squeaky is doing fine lol

Well done on the Barnacle Geese, always interesting to see a new species. And everyone loves Robins, post a Robin picture in the Gallery here and you'll see what I mean.|=)|

Hey chris will do mate!

Got like 80 shots from today some goats some scenic and some of the rspb dude cleaning Lillians hide lol Doing a pucker job too!

Out of 80 shots got 1 good un i think lol.

Gonna crack an ale and do some editing, And think of a sneaky plan to trick the garden birds closer to me make shift "shed hide" lol:t:

karpman

Attachments

• moss robin.jpg
    moss robin.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 45
First Goldcrest of the winter. Last one in the garden stayed from Dec 08 through to March 30th 09.

Hopefully It will make home in the conifers again.

Well done and good luck for it staying the winter.

I've not logged on for a couple of days (long story, but if you need a reason: I was abducted by Aliens |=)|), so I guess an update from me is little overdue.

I think there are a few people on BF who have clearly been abducted by aliens (some more than once). Thankfully this is one of the sanest threads there is.

CB

I love starlings, in town today 1 got a chip, took it in the edge and had it all to himself, they make me laugh way they dont bother about people walking near them in such busy circumstanceso:):-O

some good pics again today from people :)

our day at potteric carr was very interesting.

on the way over the snake pass we saw a mountain hare very close to the road.

then

our bird list for the day was.

shellduck, mallards, shoveller, gadwall, goldeneye and mute swan.

1 cormorant sat sunning itself, and one grey heron that refused to wake up.

lots of black heade gulls and a few herring gulls

lots of golden plover and lapwings.

1 merlin flew straight past the front of the hide, but we couldn't get a pic.

2 kingfishers. didn't get any pics of those either (blame bornwild).

at least 2 kestrels.

also lots of garden birds.
blue and great tit. chaffinch. coal tit. dunnock. robin.
we also saw quite a few reed buntings. (see other id thread for pics.)

we didn't see a bittern though i might revise my opinion of it being a figment of other peoples over active imaginations, in light of this as i also said these were products of mass hallucinations too.

plus another one of our sightings

and bornwilds best pic so far.

we ended the day watching a flock of starlings performing a pre roost display as the last bit of light faded away.

Attachments

• potterick carr 217a.jpg
    potterick carr 217a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 38
  • potterick carr 213a.jpg
    potterick carr 213a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 56
  • potterick carr 201a.jpg
    potterick carr 201a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 41
  • potterick carr 197a.jpg
    potterick carr 197a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Is this guy freaky

Yesterday was much busier than usual with the usual suspects of,
goldfinches 15+
greenfinches 10+
dunnocks 2
robins 3
blue tits 3
great tits 3
chaffinches 3
starlings 20+
collar doves 13
magpies 4
crows 2
wren 1
sparrows 10
and this little fella who freaked me out that much i could hardly hold my camera steady.
sorry about the bad focusing but it was shot thru glass in a panic.
A part albino robin but with black eyes.
This was taken thursday but aint been seen since,a neighbour saw him first and when i went to see my neighbour he'd just seen it. Hope he comes back so i can get some better shots..........

Attachments

• IMG_3055 crop.jpg
    IMG_3055 crop.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 44
And as if by magic

Here he was again this morning with a few of my visitors.

Attachments

• IMG_3061resized.jpg
    IMG_3061resized.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3063resized.jpg
    IMG_3063resized.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3060 resized.jpg
    IMG_3060 resized.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi Barnstormer,

That Robin looks really freaky but in a really cool way. Just hope it doesnt make it an easy target for a Sparrowhawk.

News from this morning - Goldcrest (no doubt yours from yesterday Bfb ;)), several goldfinches, a Redwing, a good flock of Chaffinches and a Buzzard. Not bad for a few minutes birdwatching!

CB

Some maga posts to catch up on... I will do later when more time (just finished work)

Just got in and found Male & Female Bullfinch on nyjer feeder, well chuffed!
Only ever had female once, in April. And last saw a male in the gearden in July. So the winter has started off pretty well for me with Redpoll, Redwing (another one just turned up at 13.30hrs), Goldcrest and now Bullfinches

Beer coming out this evening.

Lots of courtship with the pair of Collared Doves, beak fencing, flapping and then....

Just witnessed the Collared doves mating in the oak tree, how cool is that in December...

Last edited:
Wow, here goes:

Karpster, Mega robin pic mate... they are the ones that inspire you to get better and better. Glad you got a quick glimpse of L Moss, its a great place when you can find time to take it all in. Again its a taster for you to plan a day out with the family.

Barnstormer, that is one mega robin. Well cool... love your feeder set up too.

CC / BW nice day out at Potteric, with a few nice birds thrown in.

Pam: If your Collared doves are at it too, cover your youngsters eyes, youll only have to explain if she asks!!

The sun has just come out!!

Last edited:
Just had a Blue Tit for a few seconds, he moved when I pressed the shutter though, it's still recognisable.

Practice practice, some luck, with a bit more luck :-O thats how we get the good pictures of the tit family :-O

I have loads of pictures of boring tree branches or a few tail feathers

Just off into the garden to see if I can get a nice snap of something

Last edited:
Keep your eyes open for Pink-footed Geese flying over on these clear frosty mornings. Snow forecast for our are Bfb tonight.

CB

18 Pink Footed Geese gone over CB :t: In formation but suprisingly silent as they went straight over the garden :t:
Garden tick & Lifer all in one go B :) Thanks for the heads up CB

Mega afternoon here will update later, keeping an eye out for more geese overhead.

Last edited:
Thursday morning on the campus saw some new arrivals: Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. Nice little birds that never keep still for a second.

Yesterday we got snow! Not much where we are but some parts of our area got 3-4 inches. Odd to see our male Downy Woodpecker working the suet feeder in the snow.

New installment of my Costa Rica trip on my blog.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• gnat.JPG
    gnat.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 33
  • dow.JPG
    dow.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 39
Barnstormer what great pics of the Robin, very unsual! Lots of great posts and photos over the past day or so too.

Dave we did have the Collared Doves mating in our tree earlier this year - told the little one they were dancing :eek!: Strange for them to be doing it now though.

Jeff, very nice to get snow at this time of year! Off to catch up on your blog in a mo.

Busy day again here upto 20 Starlings at one point and all the usual visitors. No sign of the squirrel again though. Today we had a Wood Pigeon on the feed tray for the first time in months.

From the garden today

Busy this afternoon

Blackbirds, Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, Magpies, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Blue Great & Coal tits, Chaffinch, Bullfinch m+f :t:, Goldfinch, Robin, Dunnock, Songthrush :t:, Redwing :t:, BH Gulls, Starling, Collared Doves (mating) :t:, Pink footed geese (18) :t:, Sparrowhawk over, Greenfinch, House sparrows,

Some pics added, not fit for any gallery just an impression of the afternoon

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 37