• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hello all (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone. I have a passion for birds. I love to walk and look and listen for birds in various habitats. I love the nightingale, unfortunately, we have lost it in our area in south yorkshire. I love to watch buzzards on the hills around the back of my house, when 30 years ago, they were unheard of in my area. My fave bird songs are the blackbird, the song thrush, the nightingale, the yellowhammer and the sky lark.

I am so saddened at the decline of our songbirds. Birds that we took for granted in the 1960s and 70s, so sad, but elated at the expansion of the red kite, gooseanders and the sparrow hawk, which were almost extinct in our area during the 1960s. Although I would love to see the red backed shrike return.

I am really looking forward to being on this site and reading the wonderful comments.

Andrea

Hello.fantastic experience. I'm lucky to be doing it with a great bunch of people in the NYC metro area. My favorite bird calls are without a doubt the red wing blackbird's and the grackles. Its an exciting time in New York, as we await spring migrations...
I'm looking forward to checking out this forum.
Best
Michael

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello ;)

Hi Andrea and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to hearing all your news.

D

Hello.fantastic experience. I'm lucky to be doing it with a great bunch of people in the NYC metro area. My favorite bird calls are without a doubt the red wing blackbird's and the grackles. Its an exciting time in New York, as we await spring migrations...
I'm looking forward to checking out this forum.
Best
Michael

Thankyou so much for the lovely welcome

Warm welcome from me and the rest of the birders.

I seem to be hearing that bird populations have been dwindling these past 30-50 years, a lot. Too bad I wasn't around back then to have the pleasure of seeing it for myself.

Hi Andrea
Welcome to BirdForum, hope you enjoy things here.
There's a thread for all things Yorkshire located HERE.
Keep a check on threads titled Tyke Meet or Yorks Meet, these details times when the BF members are getting together for birding.
Look forward to reading your posts and maybe seeing you at a meet.

Hello and welcome, can't help with the chat room as I don't spend any time there.

Hi Andrea
Welcome to BirdForum, hope you enjoy things here.
There's a thread for all things Yorkshire located HERE.
Keep a check on threads titled Tyke Meet or Yorks Meet, these details times when the BF members are getting together for birding.
Look forward to reading your posts and maybe seeing you at a meet.

Thankyou keith, I would love to go out birding with a group. I have my own patch, "Kilnhurst Ings" which is a place of SSI, which is just a short walk from my house. I am going today to see if the sandmartins have come back; and it was great to hear the willow warblers this year as there were hardly any last year. The kingfisher often puts in an appearance, and the grey wagtails have started to nest and I suspect that little nest overhanging the footpath, half built with what looks like soft white wool, is a goldfinches nest so lots of exciting things happening but just hope I can hear a cuckoo this year mmmm what a shame about their decline.

Anyways, I got carried away there lol.

Thanks again and if I can get out on a birdwatch with a group, that would be fantastic.

Andrea

Warm welcome from me and the rest of the birders.

I seem to be hearing that bird populations have been dwindling these past 30-50 years, a lot. Too bad I wasn't around back then to have the pleasure of seeing it for myself.

Yes indeed. Birds that we took for granted, are now so rare. Although I did see a party of linnets of about 10, which is encouraging. I miss the greenfinche's zeeeeee though, which was everywhere when I was young and the plethora of house martins too mmmm wish they could come back.

It's a lot to do with the drought in Africa and the extension of the sahara. However, Poland seems to be holding it's own, so it may be the farming techniques in the UK. Proof positive I suppose by the decline of the corn crake, the corn bunting and sky lark.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back