• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Bit of a quiet week for me as I've been stuck doing extra hours at work but not in until my usual lunchtime today so took the opportunity to nip up onto Alnwick Moor in search of grouse and any raptors. Got two Red Grouse before I had even got out of the car and they obligingly stayed put until I got the scope onto them :t: Other birds included a Buzzard on fence post, a pair of Kestrel and 10 Carrion Crow. Pretty quiet and a rather chilly 2c which had my hands and ears freezing after an hour...and a bit of a headache too which is very unusual for me. Perhaps it's time to start wearing a hat!!!! :eek!:

Saturday 17th January
Alnwick Moor

60: Red Grouse
61: Great Tit

Red necked grebe 96 red kite97 GoldenEye 98 great crested grebe 99 scaup 100 marsh tit ,101 jack snipe 102 white fronted goose 102 smew 103 green sand piper 104

Saturday, Jan. 17.

Was wavering back and forth, on whether I would bother going out on a run today; in the end, very glad I did! Just a couple of streets north of my house, a small but racous flock of crows drew my attention to a Cooper's Hawk they were pestering; and up at the end of my loop, in the Waterloo city park, a much larger, much louder flock was all over a Great Horned Owl! Not a species we normally see in town, and not one I would have expected to find at all, without a lot of effort.

10) Cooper's Hawk
11) White-breasted Nuthatch
12) Great Horned Owl
13) European Starling
14) Downy Woodpecker

Location: Kitchener and Waterloo - looped around Waterloo Park and then home.

Conditions: Not bad - a little chilly at -6º, but little wind. Snow packed on the sidewalks, but not enough to be icy yet.

Last edited:
A few birds happened upon naturally through the work week:
72. Mitred Parakeet
73. Mourning Dove
74. Eurasian Collared-Dove

Had a good Saturday birding, including a short whale-watching pelagic that ended up being an auk buffet snagging me my first lifers of the year:
75. Canvasback
76. Canada Goose
77. Black-crowned Night-Heron
78. Ring-necked Duck
79. White-crowned Sparrow
80. Common Raven
81. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
82. Orange-crowned Warbler
83. American Goldfinch
84. Northern Shoveler
85. American Kestrel
86. Red-winged Blackbird
87. Lark Sparrow
88. House Wren
89. Say's Phoebe
90. Northern Pintail
91. Chipping Sparrow
92. Ash-throated Flycatcher
93. California Gull
94. Cassin's Auklet
95. Common Murre
96. Ancient Murrelet (lifer)
97. Scripps's Murrelet (lifer)

98. Rhinoceros Auklet
99. Sanderling
100. Horned Grebe
101. Surfbird
102. Lincoln's Sparrow
103. Savannah Sparrow
104. Pied-billed Grebe
105. Belted Kingfisher
106. Bonaparte's Gull
107. Glaucous-winged Gull
108. Green-winged Teal
109. Common Yellowthroat
110. Western Meadowlark
111. Barn Swallow
112. Northern Harrier
113. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
114. Marsh Wren
115. Great-tailed Grackle
116. Hooded Merganser

Last edited:
Whilst doing the local waterfowl count, I added

31 Great Crested Grebe
32 Eurasian Teal
33 Common Pochard
34 Eurasian Siskin
35 Lesser Redpoll
36 European Goldfinch
37 Eurasian Bullfinch
38 Long Tailed Tit
39 Grey Heron
40 Egyptian Goose
41 European Herring Gull

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back