• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best readily available 6x30? (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi all!

I was intrigued by a recent discussion of lower power binoculars on this forum recently, and I was wondering what's the best (optical, build quality) 6x30 binocular readily available nowadays?

As I understand, there is a limited selection of 6x binoculars, and the selection of quality ones is even more limited.

The only 6x30 that seems to be commonly stocked by shops here in Norway is the Opticron Savanna. There is also the Kowa YF, which I saw available from a shop in Denmark. Are these considered good binoculars, and which one is the better of the two? Are there any other bins I should be considering?

Cheers,
HN

Last edited:
High North, If you mean this to include 6x32 then I would have to suggest the Vortex Viper HD 6x32. Pretty Sweet little glass.

We think the original Leupold Yosemite and the Vortex Raptor where made at the same factory in China. When Lepold moved it's model to another establishment as the BX-1 both Kowa and Opticron took it's place. Pentax seems to have joined the party with the AP but don't do the 6x. The discontinued Celestron Nature appeared quite different (and inferior)to the rest of the family to me but I haven't seen the current Cypress 7x30 offering yet.

Unsurprisingly the Kowa and Opticron do seem very similar optically indeed but unfortunately I've been unable to compare them side by side, only separately a few minutes apart. My impression at the time was that the Kowa sample I tried had slightly better contrast than the Opticron but might easily have been mistaken under the circumstances. I've been told that Opticron has strong links with Scandinavia but maybe not as far as Kirkenes. ;) On the other hand I've been told that Kowa has been a source of frustration by more than one retailer in the UK but that may not apply in Norway.

David

Unfortunately I think all the 6x30's have a smaller FOV than the Nikon 8x30 EII.

You will get a more relaxed view with the 6x though.

Ditto on Typo's comments. I have compared the Kowa and the Opticron side by side and it is pretty much a toss-up as to which one is better optically or mechanically. They are both good binoculars.

I would suggest some of the clones Leupold Yosemite, Kowa YF, Opticron Savanna or other mentioned similar model. They are all within the same price range and I am pretty sure you get the same binocular but with different brand and slightly different outer design. For the price these can hardly be beaten.
If you can go up just a bit to 32 mm I recommend Vortex Viper HD 6x32.

I would suggest some of the clones Leupold Yosemite, Kowa YF, Opticron Savanna or other mentioned similar model. They are all within the same price range and I am pretty sure you get the same binocular but with different brand and slightly different outer design. For the price these can hardly be beaten.
If you can go up just a bit to 32 mm I recommend Vortex Viper HD 6x32.

Hi! Thanks everyone for replies! The Vortex Viper is in another leauge price wise though (at least here in Norway).

HN

Hello High North,

Do you have an opportunity to buy WWII surplus binoculars, Axis or Allied? The coated ones are not too obsolete.
The individual focussing is not very good for bird watching but might suit for stalking and hunting.

Happy nature observing,
Arthur :hi:

HN - Eagle Optics imports a 6x32 roof CF in the Ranger series, which is a nice glass. I had one once which went to an elderly lady who loved to bird but tremors were bothering her hands. She said it helped improve seeing the birds.

Your questions really break into several categories, the most important being, what is readily available and secondly, whether we are talking about IF or CF binoculars. The Leupold Yosemite CF and its clones are readily available. Some users find a difference between the earlier and later models. I can't speak to that because I bought the first edition of Yosemities and kept it. Some discontinued models of 6x30s CF are of German and Japanese origin. They are usually outstanding binoculars. Zeiss made a 6x30 on their 8x30 B series body. It was a lovely little glass and I was foolishly talked out of it by a Zeiss collector. If you can find an older Bushnell CF 6x30, it will surprise you. (more later)

John

Hi!

It seems the 6x30 Opticron Savanna CF would be the easiest to get (costs around 250 USD here in Norway).

Getting a a WWII-era binocular IF binocular is an interesting proposition! I have seen a couple of Wetzlar (that's Zeiss, right?) 6x30 WWII binoculars on sale online for about one third to half the price of the Savanna. They looked rather shabby externally, though the sellers claimed the optics were fine. How do I know which ones are coated and which are not?

HN

Hi!

It seems the 6x30 Opticron Savanna CF would be the easiest to get (costs around 250 USD here in Norway).

Getting a a WWII-era binocular IF binocular is an interesting proposition! I have seen a couple of Wetzlar (that's Zeiss, right?) 6x30 WWII binoculars on sale online for about one third to half the price of the Savanna. They looked rather shabby externally, though the sellers claimed the optics were fine. How do I know which ones are coated and which are not?

HN

Hello HN,

Wetzlar was the home to Hensoldt, a subsidiary of Zeiss, to Leitz, now known as Leica, and to some mediocre makers of optics.
Most of the WWII German binoculars had a code for the manufacturer. See:
this list.
Ask the seller if there is a blue or purple colour to the lenses.

Happy nature observing,

Hello HN,

Wetzlar was the home to Hensoldt, a subsidiary of Zeiss, to Leitz, now known as Leica, and to some mediocre makers of optics.
Most of the WWII German binoculars had a code for the manufacturer. See:
this list.
Ask the seller if there is a blue or purple colour to the lenses.

Happy nature observing,

Thanks Arthur! Good to know! ;)

HN

Hi!

Most of the WW II German 6x30's you will find will be army models and as such did not have coated optics (the great majority of WW II German binos with coated opitics were Kriegsmarine i.e. naval models). There were some Zeiss Kriegsmarine 6x30's made with coated optics but these are rare and will sell for at least $500 and probably much more. However, WW II US Army and Navy 6x30's with coated optics are often found on eBay for about $100. The Navy Universal Mark 33 and Army M13 6x30's are particularly good. But as noted earlier these will be individual focus and not all are coated so check with the seller that it has blue/purple colored lenses. Also, regardless of what the seller says the odds are high that after 70 years the internal optics will be hazed, collimation may be needed and the focus mechanisms will require re-lubrication so the binocular after purchase would need to be serviced (another $100-$200 including shipping) for optimum performance. Two very nice circa 1950's center focus 6x30's with coated optics are the Bausch & Lomb Zephyr and Leitz Bidoxit (which I actually prefer to the famous Binuxit 8x30), both of which might be found for $100-$150 but which would also probably require servicing for best performance.

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks everyone for replies! The Vortex Viper is in another leauge price wise though (at least here in Norway).

HN

Well, yes it's definitely in another price range. Almost 4 times the price as the porro 6x30 clones. But it's more rugged and I would say the optical quality is slightly better. Still; the porro 6x30s offer incredible optical performance for the price. I have had the Yosemite 6x30 and am tempted to get it(or some of the other clones) again. I really like the design, light weight and hold comfort!

Last edited:
For that price, it might be worth checking into having one sent from abroad? If nothing else look into B&H photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Magnification_6x&ci=1010&N=4083534123+4091672287

I have found them to be very reliable for shipping to Europe. And they have an economy shipping rate that works well.

Yeah, it's at least twice the price in Norway compared to Britain and other European countries. I think I could save about 50 euros/dollars by ordering it from abroad.

Lee - Did I say a 6x30 Dialyt in any of my posts? Zeiss made a 6x42 Dialyt (for marine use) . I had one and sold it. I also had a Zeiss 6x30 porroCF which had the same body as their CF 8x30 porro. I have in my Zeiss archives which show the 6x30 porro. I don't post photos on the Net but I do sent info via the postal service. My address is: John Dracon, P.O box 948, White Sulphur Springs, Mt. 59645. Send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I'll send you a copy. No problem at all.
Cheers,
John

I also had a Zeiss 6x30 porroCF which had the same body as their CF 8x30 porro. I have in my Zeiss archives which show the 6x30 porro.
Note that this binocular was manufactured by the current Zeiss company which at that time was situated in West Germany. Not only is this binocular excellent optically but its build quality is superb (although it may over the years have been subject to outgassing of internal lubricants and sealants hazing the internal optics). The original Zeiss company was in East Germany and was known as Zeiss Jena. They made two famous 6x30's - the IF Silvamar which was the basis for the German WW II Dienstglas 6x30 and the CF Silvarem. Only the ones made after WW II will have coated optics, but although these post WW II East German products are optically good, their build quality is not nearly as good or robust as that of the West German ones.

Thanks LPT for your post. Lee, it should save you some postage. Since you have seen the Zeiss 8x30 porro CF in both the older and B series, the 6x30 looks identical. You can tell the difference only by looking at it closely and in use.

Letting that one go ranks in the top ten of dumb decisions I made in over 60 years of collecting. Perhaps the top 10 dumb decisions regarding binoculars we have made would make a good thread on BF. But remember, public confessions may be good for the soul, but they can be mighty hard on your reputation.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back