• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weeting Heath. (1 Viewer)

Deseo

Hi all, I am planning a trip to Norfolk next week and would like to see the Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath. I just thought I had better check that it's not too late for them. Does anyone know if they can be reliably seen next week?
Also does anyone know if a place where Golden Pheasant can be reliably seen?
Cheers.

Not much chance of Golden Pheasant - they'll be moulting now, so keeping a very low profile (in particular, silent). Early spring when the males are displaying is the only realistic time to look for them.

Ok thanks that will save me time. I've also heard that there's a good place for Dartford Warblers. Any info on that?

I was at Weeting Heath a few weeks ago and the grass was too tall to see any Stone Curlew although the Warden said they were still there

Ok thanks that will save me time. I've also heard that there's a good place for Dartford Warblers. Any info on that?

Kelling Heath just north of Holt, but it's a largish area, and at this time of year the adults will be moulting their primaries (Bibby 1979) and will be skulking like nobody's business, juveniles behaving similarly. Good luck!
MJB
Bibby, CJ. 1979. Mortality and movements of Dartford Warblers in England. British Birds 72: 10-22.

Can I suggest Minsmere.
Not too far from Weeting and you might be going there anyway.
On Tuesday after looking at the Purple Gallinule we heard that a pair of Stone Curlew had a nest on the reserve. One bird clearly visible on "guard duty" and the other brooding a youngster or two (it was raining).
The ground is pretty flat so the birds were really easy to see (with a 'scope). The bird on guard duty could be seen with binoculars, just.

We managed to get 4 Stone Curlew at Weeting. The grass was long but once you got your eye in they were quite easy to spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back