• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stumper from Shenandoah Natl. Park (large finch-type bird) (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
This bird was sitting at the very top of a large, solitary pine tree on the side of a mountain at about 3,000' elevation. It looked to be about 7-8" long.

Its flight was rolling/slightly undulating and it had a very clearly notched tail.

My impression was of a large finch. It seemed bulkier than a Pine Siskin and I think I am too far south for crossbills.

I didn't notice any obvious markings other than some streaking on the wings.

Attachments

• uknf1.jpg
    uknf1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 111
  • uknf2.jpg
    uknf2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Please don't let that be true!!!!!!!!!

But when I look at the pictures - I think the same thing.

When I was looking at the bird - I never for a second thought FBHCB. I took the picture through light rain a long ways away (taken with 300 mm lens with effective 375mm sensor) but shortly after looking through the binocs and feeling the bird was interesting enough to photograph (meaning I did not believe it was a bhcb) and taking the 2 pictures the bird flew straight towards me at nearly eye level and I saw its deeply notched tail.

Then again, I have been fooled by missing central tail feathers before. And it is possible that the rain caused some feather deformation that I interpreted as streaked wing coloration.

If it was too easy, it wouldn't be fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back