• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

closure of many of CA's state parks (1 Viewer)

Looks like charging an extra $1 per user or finding a couple of corporate sponsors for each park would almost cover the cost of running these parks, so this is more of a political issue rather than a financial issue.

This reminds me of a proposal in Philly a few years ago. SEPTA was low on money, so they threatened to scale back public transit to only business hours on M-F. Public outcry was immense and they got their money at the last minute.

Perhaps this is a similar tactic -- put a crazy cut like this on the table so the outcry is so great that the state will get their money any way possible.

SEPTA still needs money. They thought they would get it by privatizing the Turnpike but the buyer, from Spain, backed out. Economy was the excuse. There is still talk of turning Interstate 80 into a toll road.

Most States have financial woes now.
Bob

SEPTA still needs money. They thought they would get it by privatizing the Turnpike but the buyer, from Spain, backed out. Economy was the excuse. There is still talk of turning Interstate 80 into a toll road.

Most States have financial woes now.
Bob

They should turn 80 into a toll road. I am glad to pay taxes or tolls when the money is being used for useful things, and supporting SEPTA is quite useful. If I were still a resident in PA, I'd be glad to pay more for this.

And yes, I am well aware that most states have financial problems -- it's hard to escape that news.

Anza Borrego is still open every day and all year around, though the visitor's center is closed more than it used to. So far, there are no extra charges for "free areas" in the park, though I think camping fees went up a little.

It's too hot now to do any good birding there, except near the springs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back