• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crane seen at Enisala , Dobrugea, Romania (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

On June 15th 2019, I was birding at the fishponds at Enisala, Romania, and to my surprise two Crane few over close by then rose high and disappeared to the south.
These were my first ever Crane and were unexpected. I am not experienced with Crane and didn't get a photo nor did I manage to get note of finer points of identification. They must have been over-summering birds.
Please can anyone advise - is it possible to infer whether these birds would definitely have been Common Crane or , could they just possibly have been Demoiselle Crane?
If anyone with local knowledge perhaps can provide a pointer or two please, it would be much appreciated.

Yep, by far most likely Common Crane; likely immatures / subadults not old enough to breed (they don't usually breed until they're 4 or 5 years old).

yes, but also a common crane on 12.06. a bit south of enisala (vadu). so, both species are actually possible but demoiselle crane would still be a mega. no photo?

Thanks everyone.
Sadly I wasn't quick enough on the draw to get a photograph.
Sadly I if Crane is only "possible" because it could just be a Demoiselle and Demoiselle is only possible because it could a Crane, then unfortunately I don't even get one tick!

At great risk of upsetting the apple-cart, I find it hard to believe that you apparently rely solely on others to identify images from your photographs to feed your overwhelming need to 'tick' new species!? Do you actually do any birding or identify anything for yourself? Will the comments and feedback that you get from your posts really help you with your own identifications in the future?

Just curious,

RB

At great risk of upsetting the apple-cart, I find it hard to believe that you apparently rely solely on others to identify images from your photographs to feed your overwhelming need to 'tick' new species!? Do you actually do any birding or identify anything for yourself? Will the comments and feedback that you get from your posts really help you with your own identifications in the future?

Just curious,

RB

Let's say, "at great chance of upsetting..." as, obviously, you love that. To be honest, of what I know about you on BF, it is seemingly even the only thing you do... 8-P

A predictable response from one of the clique of 'experts' who spend all their spare time massaging their birding egos on forums. The question is a fair one and perhaps the person that it was posed to is best placed to answer, not you Valery?

RB

Last edited:
It seems a fair question to me.

Earnest Lad seems quite keen as keen as any of us that went abroad and or was new to birding. When i did there was no internet and the standard bird guide of Hollom etc. Things have moved on and now there are forums like this but they are no substitute for doing the deducing for yourself - bird calls etc i found even more problematical. I like the stuff being put up as it tests me before scrolling down and seeing what others think. There is a balance to be struck and for me as a reasonably experienced and travelled birder i still make mistakes but also carry a good bridge camera that will allow perusal and hopefully ID those ‘little Brown jobs’. With experience comes confidence and for me the great pleasure is looking for stuff abroad as my own local patches yield increasingly fewer species year on year and the only chance i get to test honed skills is when i travel but i still would not hesitate to put stuff up here for peer scrutiny;)

Good Birding -

Laurie:t:

Agreed Andy - none of us are Luddites and most take advantage of new technology but i am from the ‘Nancy’s Cafe’ generation and the sucking of eggs will not be tolerated;)

Agreed Andy - none of us are Luddites and most take advantage of new technology but i am from the ‘Nancy’s Cafe’ generation and the sucking of eggs will not be tolerated;)

People don't actually scrutinise birds anymore, they don't need to, they just take a picture and post it here.

Whilst photography is an effective way to figure out the tough ID's, continually telling people, 'it's a Whitethroat' or a Linnet or a Dunnock, would seem to suggest that it's not being used as a learning tool.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a place for photography, I enjoy trying to figure out female Sylvias etc but it's undoubted advantages are being neglected, in fact I'd say abused. What we now seem to have, are an increasing number of people with cameras, who want to label and list the species they've 'shot' without actually learning anything about their subjects.

What we now seem to have are not birders with cameras but photographers with pictures of birds.

Last edited:
I have to agree with a lot of that.....

I increasingly bump into people who turn up for local birds of note.....without any binoculars or visible optics but festooned with camera gear and all cammo’d up like a Marine sniper but still standing out like a dick on a dog:C I now no longer respond or reply to these people as they will have travelled on their own in a car having been on the internet for info and cannot be arsed to look for anything. Consequently they cannot participate in any reciprocation. It is much like a parasite going through its lifestyle. I still take brief notes of pertinent features which might help in ID’ing my camera stuff altho note-taking deserves picture of its own in the rarity gallery;)

This forum is open to all levels to anyone who wants to ask about birds. No one is forced to reply though. I hope admins will keep on with the same philosophy as we have seen up to now, despite some members who want to restrict the group to those who have the same mentality than them.

A predictable response from one of the clique of 'experts' who spend all their spare time massaging their birding egos on forums. The question is a fair one and perhaps the person that it was posed to is best placed to answer, not you Valery?

RB

That is totally dishonest. I often ASK help for ID (I guess you don't, as you know everything, right ;) ), if I was here to show off here, I would publish less, never ask for help (I have about 160.000 identified photos of 5000+ species, why should I ask help for example, to ID a common species of gull of which I've hundreds of other photos, uh ?) and just ID what I'm sure, to let people belief I make no mistake. Several members are doing that, I'm not this kind ; just check the number of message / months. This is probably what is disturbing you : I don't do like others. As for Earnest lad, you criticise everything that is not like "normal" according to your point of view.

Just learn to accept that some people have other aims, other mentality, other way of birding than yours. Fortunatly...

I think post#1 is a perfectly reasonable question. If you are in an unfamiliar country you may well have no idea whether or not any confusion species is realistically possible or vanishingly unlikely. I'm sure I have birds on my list, that I wouldn't have been able to distinguish from similar birds, except for the confusion species being vanishingly unlikely at the location. I bet we all have. Reed Warbler vs African Reed Warbler springs to mind. In some parts of the neotropics it's simply because you're on that side of the mountains. In other parts of the world it's because you are on that particular island, etc etc.

In this case (from what others have said) it looks like Demoiselle Crane is not quite unlikely enough to be safe with calling it a Common Crane. I wouldn't have known that until reading this thread.

Last edited:
I agree Larry but I also think post #9 asks valid questions as well.

The problem, Andy, is that post is not a question at all, I guessed you have seen that. Just a rude comment in the hope to see the member escaping from Birdforum. I'm surprised Rotherbirder is not excluded from BF for that : a member chasing away other members has not his space in a group.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back