• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax ZD 10x50 ED £460 at Amazon (1 Viewer)

icesheet

I tried to reply on the Pentax ZD 10x50 ED thread but it seems it's locked. This maybe doesn't deserve it's own thread but just a heads up to anyone that is interested... Amazon have these on offer for £460 just now (28.06.19), less than half the normal retail price. I picked up a pair last week. Haven't decided if I'm going to keep them yet as I subsequently found a used pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV and I don't think I can justify keeping both.

Anyway could be a good deal for someone and you can always return them within 30 days!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-ZD-...x+zd+10x50+ed&qid=1561757192&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:
That is a great price, it’s an outstanding binocular. I have handled one last year, I would grab one here in the states for that price.

I was keeping an eye on it. It actually dropped a low as £415 at one point! I'm very tempted to keep it but my binocular spending has got out of hand recently! I suppose I should get my money back at the very least if I decided to sell it down the line.

These Pentax models seem to be totally overlooked and I have not read any review of any of them. I guess this is because of the 50deg AFOV, which is considered as too narrow compared to the high end competition. But Pentax are much lighter than the german and austrian competitors and with better eye relief than any of them. I would like to know how good the Pentax ED models are.

FWIW Allbinos reviewed the Pentax ZD ED 8x43 in 2017.

I would be interested to hear owner opinions of the ZD ED 10x50. The 30 year warranty is helpful at this price.

Is it more than a £400 binocular at a £900 price? Not uncommon these days.

Regards, Steve

FWIW Allbinos reviewed the Pentax ZD ED 8x43 in 2017.

I would be interested to hear owner opinions of the ZD ED 10x50. The 30 year warranty is helpful at this price.

Is it more than a £400 binocular at a £900 price? Not uncommon these days.

Regards, Steve

Thanks for the link! It seems to be a good binocular. I am also interested in the 10x50. I wonder if the relatively narrow FOV is weighed up by a long eye relief and lightweight construction. I would like to know they optically compare to Zeiss Conquest HD series.

I would like to know they optically compare to Zeiss Conquest HD series.

Inevitably one would have to test both mounted on tripods, side by side, outside, and using resolution charts, and good luck with that.

If you are looking at 10x50s perhaps the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 10x50 would be a possible choice?

Worth weighing in the considerable benefit of the Leupold warranty & customer service (the same as Swarovski).

Regards, Steve

Inevitably one would have to test both mounted on tripods, side by side, outside, and using resolution charts, and good luck with that.

If you are looking at 10x50s perhaps the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 10x50 would be a possible choice?

Worth weighing in the considerable benefit of the Leupold warranty & customer service (the same as Swarovski).

Regards, Steve

Thanks for tip! Seems to be a very interesting binocular, yes all the models in this series. 58deg AFOV and 19mm eye relief. At a picture of the 12x50 the eye lenses are not much recessed from the eyecup edge in the lowest position so this means a big part of the true eye relief can be used.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back