• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damaged 20x60 Leica zoom (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
Nasty shock today, checked the front element of my 20X60 zoom to find a nasty scratch in the glass, God knows how it happened. I was wondering if any forum members had renewed a font element on a 20x60 zoom and what sort of cost I could expect. It doesn’t seem to have degraded the overall view , but don't know if I can live with seeing the scratch every time I use the scope.

Mick Baron
Leeds

Can you see the scratch when using the 'scope?

I have an old pair of Swarovski 10 x 42 SLCs with a scratch on one eyepiece but you cannot tell when using them.

Email Leica service via the website about the potential cost - I did about a repair to my 'scope and got a very quick reply.

barontan2418 said:
Nasty shock today, checked the front element of my 20X60 zoom to find a nasty scratch in the glass,
Mick Baron
Leeds

Remember to check if your telescope is covered on your contents insurance!

Pete

mrpjdavis said:
Remember to check if your telescope is covered on your contents insurance!

Pete

Well pointed out Pete , I have to admit I hadn’t thought of checking but will now. Many thanks. I did e-mail Leica ref price of repair, but as yet, have had no reply.

You did scratch it in your own home, didn't you? Of course you did!

(Unless you have "All Risks" cover on your home contents insurance, you'll not be covered if you damaged it away from your home).

(-;

scampo said:
You did scratch it in your own home, didn't you? Of course you did!

(Unless you have "All Risks" cover on your home contents insurance, you'll not be covered if you damaged it away from your home).

(-;
Of course I did, many thanks Scampo.

Here in the USA the Leica Passport warranty covers damage like this. Somewhat of a no fault warranty. Is it different in the UK?

Sage1

sage1 said:
Here in the USA the Leica Passport warranty covers damage like this. Somewhat of a no fault warranty. Is it different in the UK?

Sage1

Hi Sage 1, I don't believe our cover is quite so comprehensive, at least for such damage as this. I'm waiting until the end of the birding season and will then approach my insurance company. Many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back