• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norn Iron (1 Viewer)

Roger&out

Up Down
I'm in Derry/Londonderry in Northern Ireland. Are there any other members from the North???

Or the South???

Jane Turner said:
There are a few I've seen from the South... Messers Cowning and Hussey for starters

o:) Yeah I have seen these two gents in various threads but I have yet to see anyone from the six counties :eat:

i am from bangor co. down roger&out. when checking the website as a guest it always puzzled me why there seemed to be so few northern irish folk... in fact i hadnt seen any until i checked this thread! a few from the south i agree. lets hope that a message or 2 will bring them out so we can share tales, feathers or even complete birds.

ampersand said:
i am from bangor co. down roger&out.

:eat: Welcome to the birdforum ampersand, nic to have at least one more local member. Although I now live in Derry/Londonderry and have for 22 years, I am originally from Shrigley and actually worked in Bangor for about a year.

Hope indeed to share tales and feathers, I am just about to write up a trip list from Romania, so you can keep an eye out for it. I will post you when i submit, if you like.

Talk later

Roger

do post me roger. i will be visiting hungary over christmas and new year and am curious as to what i can expect to see (not the most ideal time of year to bird in hungary granted - and my time will be taken up with other activities also). i enjoyed reading threads by 'james' detailing his trip to hungary and his sightings of great bustard and many woodpeckers. i hope you got some good lifers on your list also!

I'll come clean as an emigrant from Strangford, Co. Down. In fact, if you know the village, we used to live in the house nearest the ferry terminal. However, I pretty much left when I started University in 1980, and I only recently started spending some of my time birdwatching. I do have a soft spot for Oystercatchers and Cormorants from those days, though.

a lovely part of the country indeed is strangford! the drive from bangor to strangford/portaferry is beautiful. nice scenery and nice birds. will look out for your old house next time i am in strangford, a.g.mcdowell.
i have just realised that i may have a bit of spare time on my hands tomorrow... maybe i will take a jaunt along the lough and see what is about.

ampersand said:
a lovely part of the country indeed is strangford! the drive from bangor to strangford/portaferry is beautiful. nice scenery and nice birds. will look out for your old house next time i am in strangford, a.g.mcdowell.
i have just realised that i may have a bit of spare time on my hands tomorrow... maybe i will take a jaunt along the lough and see what is about.

Anythimg worth seeing? I am heading down t Shrigley on Tuesday or Wednesday and could divert to the Lough on my way down.

Roger&out said:
Anythimg worth seeing? I am heading down t Shrigley on Tuesday or Wednesday and could divert to the Lough on my way down.

didnt go. B :) so not sure exactly what there is to see at the moment.
The Lough is believed to harbour 75% of the world's Brent Goose population (in sept). Found this piece of information (which is amazing - isnt it?) from:
http://www.fjiordlands.org/strngfrd/lscape.htm#birds
which also gives a list of what you may see if you are lucky.

Norn iron exile

Roger&out said:
I'm in Derry/Londonderry in Northern Ireland. Are there any other members from the North???

Or the South???

Hi there, Roger&out,

I'm originally from Newtownstewart (Co. Tyrone), not that far from you.
Mind you, I'm now resident in Winnipeg, out on the Canadian prairies, so I'm a fair way from NI but try and make it back as often as I can.

Cheers,

Hassie1

Hi, Roger! Hi, Hassie!

A warm welcome to you both on behalf of all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Glad you found some fellow members from NI, and look forward to your posts!

hassie1 said:
Hi there, Roger&out,

I'm originally from Newtownstewart (Co. Tyrone), not that far from you.
Mind you, I'm now resident in Winnipeg, out on the Canadian prairies, so I'm a fair way from NI but try and make it back as often as I can.

Cheers,

Hassie1
Hi Hassie, Newtownstewart is a lovely spot, friends of my wife are from just outside it. Winnipeg is just a little further away but nice to know that you still get back and that you still considere yourself from Norn Iron.

Any other exiles in Canada??

Roger

ampersand said:
do post me roger. i will be visiting hungary over christmas and new year and am curious as to what i can expect to see (not the most ideal time of year to bird in hungary granted - and my time will be taken up with other activities also). i enjoyed reading threads by 'james' detailing his trip to hungary and his sightings of great bustard and many woodpeckers. i hope you got some good lifers on your list also!

Hi ampersand
Have started thread called Northeast Romanian Village in Vacation Trip Reports Forum.

Hope you enjoy it and your trip to Hungary

Rgds Roger

Roger&out said:

Or the South???

Yes I'm from County Down

nepp

Roger&out said:
Hi nepp,
whereabouts in Down?

Roger

I live in Saintfield which is handy for both Strangford and Belfast Loughs. I'm learning about winter waders so it's useful to be near the sea.

Norma

nepp said:
I live in Saintfield which is handy for both Strangford and Belfast Loughs. I'm learning about winter waders so it's useful to be near the sea.

Norma

Norma,

I know Saintfield well, and pass through it about regularly when visiting family in Shrigley. RSPB Belfast Harbour turns up some good winter waders and has the advantage of allowing very good views. Happy learning, half the pleasure of birding.

Rgds Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back