• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark juv. Gull ID, Madeira (August 2011) (1 Viewer)

Silvio Davison

Hi all,

I was in Canical harbour, in Madeira, two weeks ago and saw this gull, slightly bigger than the other atlantic yellow-leggeds that were around...it looked unusually dark on head and upper breast for juv. Yellow-legged and I have an idea about it...but I wanted to hear your opinions first, so any ideas are really appreciated ;)
Many thanks,

Silv

Attachments

• Gull ID.jpg
    Gull ID.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 171
Certainly no smiths, with such sparse markings on vent and undertail coverts.
It is most likely a Yellow-legged Gull or, perhaps, Lesser Black-backed Gull.

It looked bigger than the other Atlantic yellow leggeds, as I said above, and surely wasn't a LBB for size and for the fact that I've seen many and it did not look like one in the field...it looked like an ordinary Yellow legged at the beginning and then, as it came closer, it was darker and slightly bigger than the other gulls and I took one single shot before it disappeared. Upper breast and head plumage too dark for YL though, or is it just within individual variation?

Thanks and sorry for not having more photos :( I thought it was sufficiently decent

Silv

Size is variable too. It is not because one gull looks slightly bigger than others that it is certainly a different species. Besides, how was size judged ? It is not easily assessed against the sky, in just a few seconds.

Size is variable too. It is not because one gull looks slightly bigger than others that it is certainly a different species. Besides, how was size judged ? It is not easily assessed against the sky, in just a few seconds.

Agreed. I've seen lots of yellow-legged and herring gulls of different real and apparent sizes.

I have seen many Yellow-legged Gulls, as I live in Italy and not England and I think that I've have learnt something about judging bird size in six year's birding every day (did I say it was of another species because it was bigger by any chance? can't remember doing so...) and if I asked an opinion it wasn't to know what you think of what I say, but of what you see in the photo.

Thanks you smiths

Silvio.

Not a smithsonianus but LBBG or YLG. Being darker than nom michahellis - atlantis or simply a darker than usual michahellis could be a choice here perhaps.
Males are bigger than females, some males being real brutes!

JanJ

I was only trying to help, dear Silvio...
My first reply (#5) was based on what can be seen in the photograph.
You may disagree with my opinion - that is fine - but there is no need to become rude...

I was only trying to help, dear Silvio...
My first reply (#5) was based on what can be seen in the photograph.
You may disagree with my opinion - that is fine - but there is no need to become rude...

Was replying to your post #7 as you were speaking about size whilst I was asking about upper breast.

Silv

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back