• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Road Trip RFI (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I am doing the following route in January and would appreciate any help with bird / mammal (mice voles squirrels etc). feeders at any sites along the route and specific info on seeing the following species.

Route.
SF to Woodbridge to Clearlake SP to Humbolts Redwood SP to
Arcata to Redwood NP to Redding to Mono lake to SF.
SF to Moss Landing to Monterey to Big Sur to Ventura to LA to Red Rocks SP to Sequoya NP to Palo Alto.

Species
California condor
Wandering Tattler
Phainopela
Tricoloured blackbird
Blue grouse
Sage Grouse
Spotted owl
Pygmy owl
Pinyon jay
Cactus wren
Verdin
Gray crowned rosyfinch
Lawrence’s Goldfinch
Clapper Rail

Many Thanks

Mark

I can help with the phainopepla (here is a link to the photo I took a couple of weeks ago: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/philter4/3e4358e82d8e9717bd5ee1168aecafb7.jpg), and tricolored blackbirds with no trouble, CA condor can be seen by taking a tour, the guides have the radio frequency for the birds and lead small groups right to the wild (tagged) birds. I am taking the tour myself towards the middle of January even though I have already seen them in the wild because I did not get any photographs.

The southern species I may also be able to help with as I lived in San Diego for about 15 years from the mid 80's until I moved to south FL.

I can help with the phainopepla (here is a link to the photo I took a couple of weeks ago: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/philter4/3e4358e82d8e9717bd5ee1168aecafb7.jpg), and tricolored blackbirds with no trouble, CA condor can be seen by taking a tour, the guides have the radio frequency for the birds and lead small groups right to the wild (tagged) birds. I am taking the tour myself towards the middle of January even though I have already seen them in the wild because I did not get any photographs.

The southern species I may also be able to help with as I lived in San Diego for about 15 years from the mid 80's until I moved to south FL.

Great any help appreciated

Mark

pigeon point is a great place to stop between SF and moss landing for a wandering tattler. if you're willing to go all the way across the bay to oakland, arrowhead marsh is an almost infallible spot for clapper rail, but i'm sure other places might be good as well. good luck.

I know that I've mentioned this before to other posters, but for the kind of trip you're planning, have a look at "A Birder's Guide to Southern California", Brad Schram, revised 2007 edition.

Another useful source of information is eBird, which is heavily used by CA birders.

- Wim

I'm just off Route 99 - 80 miles north of Sacramento - if you need a room for the night. Will be here after 1/10 (we're going to Ethiopia for Christmas). Sacramento Refuge (on Route 5) is spectacular - as is Grey Lodge (40 miles south of town).

I hope you go far enough south for the wren.

I know that I've mentioned this before to other posters, but for the kind of trip you're planning, have a look at "A Birder's Guide to Southern California", Brad Schram, revised 2007 edition.

Another useful source of information is eBird, which is heavily used by CA birders.

- Wim

On order, alreadyhave the northern cal guide
Thanks

Mark

I'm just off Route 99 - 80 miles north of Sacramento - if you need a room for the night. Will be here after 1/10 (we're going to Ethiopia for Christmas). Sacramento Refuge (on Route 5) is spectacular - as is Grey Lodge (40 miles south of town).

I hope you go far enough south for the wren.

Sacramento reserve is on the schedule it looks amazing

Thanks

Mark

pigeon point is a great place to stop between SF and moss landing for a wandering tattler. if you're willing to go all the way across the bay to oakland, arrowhead marsh is an almost infallible spot for clapper rail, but i'm sure other places might be good as well. good luck.

Thanks for the info may be able to make it to Oakland and Pigeon point is on the route

Cheers

Mark

Sequoia and King's Canyon Parks are marvelous. I worked 5 years there. A nice spot (coming in from Visalia on 198) is the Potwisha Campground area. Just be aware of valley fog. January can be very foggy in the Central Valley. Can really slow down your drives. Also can be dangerous on big fast roads like 'I 5'.

Today there are terrible storms here but during a break in the weather I came outside to find a pair of phainopepla in the yard! I know right where to take you to find them but I live just about 1800 ft (600 m) higher in elevation then where I usually go and have never seen them here before this afternoon. I went to get my camera but they moved from the tree in front with no leaves into an oak with foliage and I never got a clear shot at either of the pair.

Last edited:
Abby, nice report, looking forward to snowchaining in Sequoia, and searching for that island scrubjay and fox.

Mark

I personally found the birder's Guide to Southern California a nightmare to use, it doesn't read well at all (the northern guide is much better), however, the infomation in it is still accurate. Picked up the Island ScrubJay and fox a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

Mark

I personally found the birder's Guide to Southern California a nightmare to use, it doesn't read well at all (the northern guide is much better), however, the infomation in it is still accurate. Picked up the Island ScrubJay and fox a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

Mark

Where abouts did you see the Jay and Fox?

Thanks

Mark

I was looking for a bit more specific parts of the island!

Mark

Ah okay. If it's any help I saw both around Prisoner's Harbour with the Jay fairly common along the first part of the trail to Pelican Bay (the NCC side). The fox is supposed to be easier at Scorpion Landing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back