• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Young common seal here at ballinreavy strand. have photos of a fox and badger in front of the small hide by Sheskinmore lough but they won't load up properly.

Attachments

• SCS_0024.JPG
    SCS_0024.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
breffni said:
I hear that yellowhammer is now extinct as a breeding species in northern ireland (?) - there is at lest one breeding pair just over the border in the area of the Bush in Cooley...
I think there are a few pairs in the lurgan area but I haven't seen them. Craigavon council have bought some land near magheralin to provide food for them.

Hi everyone,

was on Rathlin on Saturday, great day. On the seabird front, as well as all the usual Puffins, auks, gulls etc, had nice views of Manx Shearwaters on both crossings: while had all the usual passers but also had a Whitethroat on the bank behind the CoI church.
Rgds Roger

Hello Everyone.
I would say Yellowhammers are probably still just about holding on in most counties in the North,but they would be extremely local indeed.
On Saturday the best i saw was 2 first summer Glaucous Gulls at Belfast Dump.On Sunday i was at the REM concert in Dublin but still managed 12 species which is a new concert record for me!

All the best

Derek

Rathlin

Hello everyone,
Just back from a re-scheduled trip to Rathlin. We had a really brilliant day. Highly recommended to everyone who hasn't yet been. You have to phone CalMac ferries well in advance to book your trip. Even today (Monday) the ferry was full which surprised me. If you want to go you can find the details on the website at http://www.calmac.co.uk/summer-rathlin-island-timetable.html
We were planning to catch the local bus to West point and walk back but the driver didn't turn up so we had to walk out (and mostly uphill) in beautiful sunshine. We got 50 species including those spotted on the crossing.

Little grebe, fulmar, manx shearwater, gannet, shag, mallard, tufties, eider, red breasted merganser, buzzard, pheasant, coot, Oystercatcher, lapwing, ringed plover, black headed gull, greater BB gull, common gull (lots of these in the freshwater lake before the lighthouse), herring gull, kittiwake, guillemot, razonbill, black guillemot, puffin, sky lark, swallow, house martin, meadow and rock pipit, pied wagtail, wren, robin, stonechat, wheatear, blackbird, song thrush, sedge warbler, whitethroat, willow warbler, blue tit, magpie, jackdaw, hooded crow, raven (flock of 7), starling, house sparrow, chaffinch, goldfinch, redpoll, reed bunting. and finally a lovely russet-toned hare.

Chatting over a pint of creamy Guinness, to a couple of cyclists at the pub who had gone East and North instead of west - they almost stood on a grouse which scuttled a short distance into the nearby heather!

As Roger said there are a lot of small interesting birds around the church in the woodland as you struggle up the steep hill. Good excuse to stop and look at them while you catch your breath.

RSPB had to phone to get the alternative bus driver from the Giant's Causeway who kindly took us back to the seal beach and gave us a running commentary on the local houses and sights of the island.

Norma

Hi Folks,
Back again, didn't have too much time for birding in Virginia but I'll share a little later. Highlight was two Bald Eagles while kayaking on the Shenandoah River.
However, last night a not too distant neighbour told of us of some weird noises coming from the trees behind his house. Further investigation yielded three Long-Eared Owls. Hope I've got a pic but my PC is away at the hospital again!

Derek was right. I use a Canon EOS 10D usually with a 100-400mmIS L lens.
Glad you enjoyed Rathlin Norma. I missed the trip with Charlotte this year. I may try to fit it in later
Cheers

Hi everyone,

had a run out to Inch Island yesterday. Highlight was a female Goosander, and there were loads of chicks of various types - Black-headed & Common Gulls, Sandwich & Common Tern, Tufted duck, coot etc. Also heard, Water Rail, Whitethroat, Sedge warbler etc.

Was a really nice morning and the birding was really enjoyable.

Rgds Roger

I was on Rathlin yesterday. Good views of all the usual summer inhabitants.
Here is a close up of one of the Puffins.

Attachments

• Puffin-web.jpg
    Puffin-web.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 110
Was at Sheskinmore for the weekend. Loads of wildflowers out, also identified a Four Spotted Chaser (dragonfly).

Ravens, Lapwing, Snipe, Wheatear, Stonechat all present. Nice views of a flock of Linnets feeding on the grassland, also lots of Swallows and Martins.

Highlight however was a Badger spotted in broad daylight on Saturday. It spent about 15 minutes digging down a rabbit hole then emerged with a fully grown Rabbit! I crept to within about 10 yards of it and although it saw me it was very reluctant to leave its kill taking bites out of it before disappearing into the sett.

Hello Everyone,

Things fairly quiet.Today at St Johns Point i had Manx Shearwaters,Gannets,Terns,Kittiwake,1 Fulmar,1 Storm Petrel and loads of Auks.Yesterday 2 Glaucous Gulls at Dargan Bay Belfast.
Pics of a few things seen today
Derek

Attachments

• squirrel 051.jpg
    squirrel 051.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 139
  • squirrel 025.jpg
    squirrel 025.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 133
  • squirrel 054.jpg
    squirrel 054.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 137
  • squirrel 016.jpg
    squirrel 016.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 121
  • squirrel 045.jpg
    squirrel 045.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 128
Hello.

Was in Spain for a week.I booked a tour with Jules Sykes from Birdforum.Fantastic time and i will do a trip report.

Back today and saw the Pectoral Sandpiper at the RSPB Reserve.Very distant but nice bird.Poor record shots

Regards

Derek

Attachments

• spainpec 317.jpg
    spainpec 317.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 152
  • spainpec 319.jpg
    spainpec 319.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 137
  • spainpec 321.jpg
    spainpec 321.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 151
  • spainpec 323.jpg
    spainpec 323.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 132
  • spainpec 392.jpg
    spainpec 392.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 159
Hi Derek,
Looks like you had a good week away. Not getting out much lately, but was pleased to see three buzzards over our fields this week and have heard another Long eared owl, this one less than a mile from our house. Unfortunately, this one doesn't start calling until its dark, so its not so easy to find.

Hi all
I haven't forgotten about you all. I'm just back from 2 weeks sailing in the Outer Hebrides. I'll do a report when I download the pictures from my camera.

Red Kite

Hi everybody,

I was passing through Dumfries and Galloway last week and got a few shots of Red Kite. Here is one.

Richard

Attachments

• Red-Kite1-web.jpg
    Red-Kite1-web.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 165
rdspalm said:
Hi everybody,

I was passing through Dumfries and Galloway last week and got a few shots of Red Kite. Here is one.

Richard
Nice one Ricahrd. Well exposed to get the detail on the underside

Hello Everyone,

I agree with Tully, Richard.Great shot of the Kite.
Look forward to your report on your holiday Norma!
Birds are moving again,autumn is nearly in full swing!
Greenshank,Golden Plover and Common Sandpiper at the Reserve and a Wheatear at Dargan Bay this evening.
And a hybrid Mediterranean x Black Headed Gull at Portrush yesterday

Regards

Derek

Attachments

• YLG 196.jpg
    YLG 196.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 131
  • MED GULL PORTRUSH 034.jpg
    MED GULL PORTRUSH 034.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 139
  • GREENSHANK 003.jpg
    GREENSHANK 003.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 144
  • GREENSHANK 022.jpg
    GREENSHANK 022.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 159
  • MED GULL PORTRUSH 002.jpg
    MED GULL PORTRUSH 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 184
Hi all,

Just back from Romania, Danube Delta is amazing even though the weather when we were there left a lot to be desired. First day was wet and windy, second day was sunny and warm but still windy, so no LBJ’s in open. Apart from these got most of what I expected.

Can’t wait to see Norma and Derek’s holiday reports, will write one myself for anybody interested.

Rgds Roger

Good to see life returning. There is going to be a lot to see and read in these reports. I am still without the PC I use for my pics, but I have attached a pic of a Graet Blue Heron from our Virginia trip and one of the young LE owls from down the road
Cheers

Attachments

• GreatBlueweb.jpg
    GreatBlueweb.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 143
  • LEOChick386Web.jpg
    LEOChick386Web.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 142
Outer Hebrides part 1

Here is the first part of my trip report.
We sailed from Strangford Lough on 2nd July up to Cushendun Bay where we anchored for the night. It was beautifully calm.
Next day our skipper wanted to push on so we headed for Outer Hebrides. We sailed past the East Light on Rathlin along with the puffins and guillemots. There was a bit of an atlantic swell. I didn't have my sea legs although it wasn't rough. Eventually I had to crawl into a bunk and lie flat..so I could no longer see the usual birds which were ..when there is no land in sight and nothing else around you can be sure of fulmars. I read that they can smell fish oil 15 miles away!!
We sailed past one of Stevenson's lighthouses in the middle of the night. Peter who was on watch saw 2 red lights and couldn't work out what it was. Eventually they separated and two huge ships passed on either side of our wee boat!..scary.

At four o'clock I felt OK to take the helm in the dawn. The sky was clear and there was only a very light wind. We were joined by 7 or 8 dolphins at 7 am jumping and diving under the boat.
At last we arrived at Castlebay on Barra - 22 hours later. Quick shower and a shop at the co-op. Lunch in the pub which is "always open unless we're closed".
The next door island is Vatersay and we anchored there for the night. Taking a walk on the shore we saw sand martin holes in a sandy hill facing the sea...they looked unoccupied. The machair is simply carpeted in flowers and the corncrakes were calling from some fields with knee high growth. There were at least 3 that I heard (probably more), also lots of wheatears and larks. There was also flock of rock doves - about 20 or 30 - feeding on the sand dune hills.
Nowadays Vatersay has a bridge joining it to Barra but it seems very unspoilt. There are about 20 wooden dwellings seemingly plonked down in a cluster. No shops - no pub. The locals must have problems with engines because many elderly vehicles are parked here and there on the top grassy dunes so that they can start by rolling down the slope!

Norma

Attachments

• east light rathlin.jpg
    east light rathlin.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 146
  • machair vatersay.jpg
    machair vatersay.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 129
  • vatersay- carparking.jpg
    vatersay- carparking.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back