• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straits of Gibraltar, sunday 9th Sept. (1 Viewer)

Spainbirds

Santi - Spainbirds
Hi all,

I will be leading tours in the Straits of Gibraltar area for the next couple of weeks and I found interesting to tell you all how the things are going here in the most Southern point of Europe.
Today we arrived Algeciras coming from Málaga around 16:00 so we didn't have too much time for birding, however in the two hours we were in the Algarrobo watchpoing we have seen several flocks of Honey Buzzards flying quite high with western wind. We think that not less than +500 birds were seen. We had also a dozen of Booted Eagles and about same number of Short-toed Eagles. A single Black Stork and an Osprey were also seen. Several flocks of noisy Bee-eaters and quite a few hirundines and swifts sp. In Cazalla watchpoing, next to Tarifa town, two juveniles Montagu's Harriers, a dark morph Booted Eagle being chased by a female Common Kestrel and a single Sparrowhawk. An adult Short-toed Eagle sitting on a top of a electric pylon. This were the most relevant records today. I will see you tomorrow with hopefully more exciting news!

Cheers,

Santiago Villa
www.spainbirds.com

I'm off to that area on Saturday for two weeks, staying in Estepona and guaranteed to spend a lot of time at Tarifa/Cazalla/La Janda. It's good to hear that I'm not too late for the honey buzzards. I've been there each autumn for the past 6 years now. It's magic.

Thanks for this, Santiago. I'll be keeping an interested eye on this thread till Friday when I'm flying out to Tarifa for a long weekend. Can't wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back