• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope from Zeiss... (1 Viewer)

astro eyepieces usable?

Just had a look on Harpia info at Zeiss web-site and still no news about other accessories (expected to October...), so we still don't know for sure if astro eyepieces can be used... |:S|

Looking at it this way there is a rapid drop to alarmingly low effective focal ratios over the higher magnifications exactly because the aperture is dropping so slowly.

Hi Henry,

Please elaborate what is the effect of this "alarmingly low effective focal ratios" in the real usage.

I have to admit that my knowledge about optics are limited and faded.
In my mind lower f-number means lower depth of field. I am not sure that the formulas used by photographers can applied here. If yes, the hyperfocal distance is proportional with the square of focal length (objective ?) and inverse proportional with the f-number. Doing the math, the hyperfocal distance for the 23x is lower than for 70x magnification, which means higher DOF for 23x.
The other aspect what I can think of, is the diffraction. But lower f-number means lower less diffraction and sharper images. Which is good news for digiscoping.

What are the (theoretical) advantages and disadvantages of having the zoom element in the ocular vs having in the objective considering observation and digiscoping? I know that the truth will come comparing these optics side by side (I doubt that I will have chance to do this comparison).

Thank you.

Low focal ratios in telescopes mainly mean severe chromatic aberration and other problems.
But only a test will see how it actually performs.

I would add severe spherical aberration to chromatic at very low focal ratios for "normal" refractor optics.

The Harpia looks like it more closely resembles a zoom telephoto lens than a normal telescope, with possibly many more lens elements. We know the aperture is restricted at low magnification and, across much of the magnification range, effective focal ratios are much lower than any high quality refractor. We'll just have to see how well it works.

Just had a look on Harpia info at Zeiss web-site and still no news about other accessories (expected to October...), so we still don't know for sure if astro eyepieces can be used... |:S|

Did the same and it persists... Now no dates for other accessories...:-C
Did a quick web search and didn't found the model available anywhere. Some sites mention end January / early February...

Did the same and it persists... Now no dates for other accessories...:-C
Did a quick web search and didn't found the model available anywhere. Some sites mention end January / early February...

Available in April it seems now, talked to some sales people.

Last edited:
A straight version is not planned. Straights are a tiny proportion of scope sales especially because many folks go birding in groups and adjusting the height all the time is a nuisance.

Lee

I tried the 85 & 95mm Harpia yesterday at a pre-release demo at Cley Marshes visitor centre.
It was a brief trial but enough to know that they are not for me. Unfortunately, the e/r does not suit my spectacles. Like the Swarovski 25-50x there is too little e/r and I struggle to see the full fov and get kidney beaning.

Apart from that deal killing issue for me, these scopes do what they should extremely well. They are pin sharp, lovely and bright, very wide and keep their image quality amazingly well at full zoom.

If you’re a regular long distance watcher of waders and wildfowl, they will do you proud.

Obviously, don’t let my e/r problem put you off. It is my problem and may not be yours. If the e/r suited me and I had £3k to spend on a scope then i’d be at the front of the queue. Oh, and if I felt inclined to carry such a big scope (I am currently looking at MM4 and monopod options to ease my aching shoulders!)

Last edited:
Obviously, don’t let my e/r problem put you off. It is my problem and may not be yours. If the e/r suited me and I had £3k to spend on a scope then i’d be at the front of the queue. Oh, and if I felt inclined to carry such a big scope (I am currently looking at MM4 and monopod options to ease my aching shoulders!)

I own a DiaScope85 with a Gitzo 2380/3530 and looked also for a lighter package for daytime observing. In dawn conditions I prefer the bigger exitpupil of the DiaScope (and the little EP of the Harpia is my killing issue), but for the daytrips I'm very happy with the MM4-60. You can read my decision (in german) here: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,436519

The pupil distance of the v2-zoom is very good, but it seems to have a 'globus-effect' when you scan the environment. I don't like this very much, but I'll try the Baader-Zoom, if it works…

good decision
Manfred

Just had a look at the accessories page and, although with some new items, it doesn't mention any astro adapter. That and the lack of straight versions makes these uninteresting to me...
I'm very happy with my X95 + extender (30 to 122x, wide AFOVs, pin-sharp images and no eye-relief problems with eye-glasses), although would appreciate that Swaro would develop improved versions with >=3x zoom range and >70º constant AFOV...:-O
When I want larger and constant AFOVs, I can use my astro-combos and having 3.5x zoom http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test%20of%2082%C2%BA,%20100%C2%BA%20and%20102%C2%BA%20AFOV%20zooms...3:)

Hi from Italy.
I am testing the Harpya in these days.
I will publish the review next week.
There will be also a small "box" with the comparison with my ATX 95

With Kind Regards
Piergiovanni

Piergiovanni,

Do you have any information on when they will become available? Or are they already available in Italy?

Looking forward to your impressions.

Kimmo

Piergiovanni,

Good to hear that you'll be getting a look at the Harpia. Here's my little wish list for information about the scope.

Firstly, since the design is so unusual I hope you can make some direct measurements of its true aperture and resolution at a few different magnification settings. Star test results at different magnifications would also be interesting.

It occurred to me that substituting longer focal length eyepieces in the 10-25mm range or something like the Baader zoom in place of the normal eyepiece (while leaving the magnification set at 70x) would be a way to see how well the scope performs when the full aperture is applied at lower magnifications.

Lastly, it would be interesting to know just how complex the design is. Perhaps someone at Zeiss could tell you how many elements/groups are involved. Of course, a cutaway view of the optics would be ideal. If the Harpia is anything like the Photoscope there will be many more lenses and groups than a normal spotting scope objective has.

Thanks,

Henry

Last edited:
Hi from Italy.
I am testing the Harpya in these days.
I will publish the review next week.
There will be also a small "box" with the comparison with my ATX 95

With Kind Regards
Piergiovanni

Ciao Piergiovanni
Are you sure your Harpia is a normal production unit or is it a pre-production prototype?

Ciao bello
Lee

It is rumored the Harpia 95 will have 14 lens in its objective, that seems quite a lot. Anyone knows about it?

Hi,

I fully expected sth like this - it's more of a telephoto lens than a telescope. Radically new approach for spotting scopes - we will see how it works out.

You can read the whole thread for more info on the implications of the new design.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back