• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guide for Panama (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi All,

I will be visiting Panama in February and would like to have your opinions on what are the better/best field guides for the region and also if it is better to get a Panama specific book or rather a Central America book instead - thanks.

Victor

Personally, I'd always use a single country guide in any continent unless you intend to visit multiple countries, it saves a lot of time, eliminating irrelevant species.

thanks for the responses folks ... I agree with what has been said ... to date I have really only got a Southern Africa list (and there are lots of great books for the region) and a UK list (which I have used both European and UK books for) but Panama is a new destination for me so was wondering about the regional books (like Southern African offers) or the individual country book .... will look into the suggestions.

... and thanks for moving the thread (sorry about that)

thanks for the responses folks ... I agree with what has been said ... to date I have really only got a Southern Africa list (and there are lots of great books for the region) and a UK list (which I have used both European and UK books for) but Panama is a new destination for me so was wondering about the regional books (like Southern African offers) or the individual country book .... will look into the suggestions.

... and thanks for moving the thread (sorry about that)

You may also find the following site guide helpful:
https://www.nhbs.com/where-to-find-birds-in-panama-book

One more vote for Angehr and Dean. I do not believe there is a good quality regional guide as an alternative.

Niels

The forthcoming Central America Guide by Vallely and Dyer looks fairly impressive. You can 'Look Inside' many sample pages and plates on Amazon.co.uk
…..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=birds+central+america+vallely

Thanks for this link. Definitely impressive! And I notice their range maps do go beyond the borders. Thus parts of Yucatan are included. Just a bit more to the North and East would have been great for all visiting the Yucatan peninsula.

I notice, despite the fact that it is a "Princeton" book, it is not originating in the US, but in GB. Thus Amazon.com lists it as a relatively expensive import at this time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back