• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunbird - Singapore, July 2016 (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

Hi all! Identified these as female olive-backed sunbirds at first, but looking at the pics again both the face pattern and the colour seems slightly off for that species... Help would be appreciated, sorry for the bad quality!
Pics were taken in Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7275.jpg
    IMG_7275.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7278.jpg
    IMG_7278.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thank you! Here's another (slightly less blurry) shot of the back of the bird, if that helps confirm it?

Attachments

• IMG_7277.jpg
    IMG_7277.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 22
The drab brown upperparts and apparent eye-ring do suggest Brown-throated but the bill looks a little too long and decurved and the eye doesn't look red - that's normally apparent even on poor photos. Could it be Van Hasselt's?

Van Hasselt's does seem like a possibility, thank you! I wonder if my pictures are good enough to exclude all other species? Crimson seems very similar from what I find online?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back