• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firmware update for Panasonic 100-300 (1 Viewer)

May I ask how you do this please? I've tried finding the instructions but don't seem to be having success. Very tired so perhaps my brain has switched off, lol....will come back to it in the morning.
thanks
Hobbes

If you scroll down the page there are instructions, but basically you download it onto your PC and then copy it onto a SD card. Pop the SD card into the camera, press the 'Play' button and it will ask you about updating the version. Click yes and away it goes (only takes a minute or so).

And very important, at least for the camera firmware update: it would not start unless the camera has a battery that was really freshly charged according to several reports

Niels

They recommend a fully charged battery for the lens update as well.
It all went quite smoothly on my G3. Now just need some good weather to try it out.

If you scroll down the page there are instructions, but basically you download it onto your PC and then copy it onto a SD card. Pop the SD card into the camera, press the 'Play' button and it will ask you about updating the version. Click yes and away it goes (only takes a minute or so).

Thank you very much :t:. I must have been half asleep to miss that, sorry!
Job done. Let's hope it makes a difference
Hobbes

I updated my 100-300 last night and made a little test this morning: a series of shots of a cactus in our garden at the 300 mm end. First five shots at 1/500s and then 5 series with 2 shots each at 1/200. The better of the shots at 1/200 contained the same level of resolution and sharpness as the best of the shot at 1/500, something I do not think I could have done before (even though this was not a formal scientific test - then I should have made a similar series of shots before upgrading, which I did not).

Niels

Just looked as a series of shots of one of our lizards, and as long as it wanted to stay still there was no problem holding the camera and lens still enough at 1/320, 1/250 was basically the same, and there was one of the shots at 1/160 that was just about there (I doubt the critter was completely still though).

I strongly doubt I could have gotten these results before updating the firmware.

Niels

I tried to upgrade my G1 and the 100-300 firmwares. I followed the instructions, download and install into my PC, but when I clicked onto the file, my pc said that Window cannot open the file. Can someone tell me what's wrong?
Thanks.

Do you have a unzip program installed? At least one of the versions you can download does need such a program to unpack, while it should also be possible to download a version that in self-opening.

Niels

Do you have a unzip program installed? At least one of the versions you can download does need such a program to unpack, while it should also be possible to download a version that in self-opening.

Niels

Thanks Niels. I will ask someone good in computer skill to check it out for me then.

Thank you Jim, apologies for not taking time to read Panasonics update statement (which I've now done). So I've deleted my question.

Sorry for any confusion.

Re the updates, can anyone tell if if generic batteries still work after update on G1 & GH2,dont want to do the updates if they wont work, and it appears the lens updates wont work without the camera being done first. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back