• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 Monovid (1 Viewer)

Just received a new Monovid. Takes a little getting used to but the image resolution is nothing short of amazing. Although the field of view is 110m at 1000m which is as wide as 10x40s and 10x50s, the apparent viewing angle in the tube still seems quite narrow by comparison. That must just be the way the optics are set up because the field is actually as wide as the specs state. It therefore isn't difficult to locate objects once you've got the nack of using it. I have the cap strung on a cable-tie so it automatically blocks out my left eye when in use and I am really growing to like it.

There is a very simple technique to avoid shake with the Monovid:
Wrap one hand around the Monovid, place the eyepiece to your eye, with your hand resting around and in contact with your eye socket. Similar effect to using a monopod with a camera.
Result = no shake.

Thanks for that post. I just got a Monovid myself, and the technique you describe works very well indeed. In fact, using that technique I don't see any difference between a conventional 8x20 and the Monovid at all; I can hold it as steady as the Ultravid 8x20.

Hermann

Another technique that I find works well on a monocular is to hold it in a palm grip against your brow, but the index finger should be put to follow the curvature between the temple and the forehead. This makes for a very steady view!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back