• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The eBird/Clements Checklist v2017 (1 Viewer)

I wonder if there will be any 'novel' splits or whether there will 'just' be further convergence with the IOC list. We'll see..

cheers, alan

Personal question chaps, don't worry, not 'how big is it' your list that is.......

I decided long ago to adopt the IOC like many others and I just do not have the inclination to keep abreast of the others, so, can I ask why so many, so closely follow the other list changes, updates etc when it's not the list you keep?

Is it curiosity, is it so you can compare your Clements list to someone elses even though you use the IOC or vice versa? Do you submit lists to be ranked in each list or just keep a note yourself, just seems like a lot of work to me!

A

Personal question chaps, don't worry, not 'how big is it' your list that is.......

I decided long ago to adopt the IOC like many others and I just do not have the inclination to keep abreast of the others, so, can I ask why so many, so closely follow the other list changes, updates etc when it's not the list you keep?

Is it curiosity, is it so you can compare your Clements list to someone elses even though you use the IOC or vice versa? Do you submit lists to be ranked in each list or just keep a note yourself, just seems like a lot of work to me!

In my case I keep track of several lists and I keep track of what species I've seen in all of them. It's a lot of work getting that set up, true (but it's a pretty harmless hobby). But once it's set up then applying the updates isn't a lot of work. For example once I put in the changes lumping Thayers Gull with Iceland Gull, my lists are automatically recalculated.

In my case I keep track of several lists and I keep track of what species I've seen in all of them. It's a lot of work getting that set up, true (but it's a pretty harmless hobby). But once it's set up then applying the updates isn't a lot of work. For example once I put in the changes lumping Thayers Gull with Iceland Gull, my lists are automatically recalculated.

No criticism intended, I just know how much work it would be and I couldn't be bothered with it.

A

I follow IOC but keep track of Clements/ebird for several reasons

1) I like the "groups" that Clements uses, and keep track of these in case of future splits. IOC lists subspecies but does not having any sort of system that breaks subspecies into potential future splits, etc

2) It can be interesting to see where and how lists deviate, which can provide a sense of future taxonomic changes down the line.

The eBird site says: "The annual eBird taxonomy update IS CURRENTLY UNDERWAY (Tuesday, 15 August). It is best if you DO NOT change your records for recent splits etc. until the taxonomy update is complete." But I just checked and I have seen an Iceland Gull in San Luis Obispo County! Just sitting in my armchair I became a much better birder. I tried unsucessfully for years to turn Thayer's Gulls into Iceland Gulls , eBird did it for me with the turn of a switch.

Last edited:
Quite curious to see the Clements 2017 update, eBird gave me a couple anticipated armchair ticks today and one unanticipated. No clue where or what...

Clements 2016 -> 2017 differences

If people want to wade through in advance of the official announcement, here's a full set of differences (see the attached file). This is based on the API (http://ebird.org/ws1.1/ref/taxa/ebird?cat=species,hybrid&fmt=csv&locale=en_US) diffed against the prior year's, and includes:

• Differences in sequence
  • Differences in scientific name
  • Differences in common name

... and of course the always much-desired splits and lumps.

Lines starting with ">" are the old taxonomy, lines with "<" the new taxonomy (and everything else are sequence numbers etc.)

Attachments

• diffs.txt
    47.9 KB · Views: 224
If people want to wade through in advance of the official announcement, here's a full set of differences

Thanks! Had a quick glance and must have missed a lot, but I see a fairly modest update, dominated by hypnen revision! A quick glance at the list reveals (apart from NACC-changes, nomenclature issues plus English name changes, including the hyphens):

Splits
* Alignment with IOC
Arborophila campbelli
Arborophila rolli
Arborophila sumatrana
Collocalia splits
Eugenes spectabilis
Eunymphicus uvaeensis
Scytalopus alvarezlopezi
Turnagra split
Ptiloris intercedens
Pycnonotus conradi
Iole charlottae
Iole cacharensis
Zosterops ponapensis
Montecincla jerdoni
Montecincla meridionalis
Calliope tschebaiewi
Geospiza acutirostris
Geospiza septentrionalis
Geospiza propinqua
Melozone cabanisi

* New stuff (all are or have been IOC potential splits)
Myzomela nigriventris
Lophorina niedda
Lophorina minor

Lumps
Cyanomitra obscura is the only one I could find!

Generic changes
* Alignment with IOC
Anser-geese, Anas-ducks, Dendroperdix, Tetrastes, Ardea intermedia, Haliaeetus, Anous, Alopecoenas (finally!), Juliamyia, Carpodacus-assemblage, Carduelini, Myiomela, Sholicola, Montecincla.

* New stuff (compared to IOC, not a single one outside NACC/SACC):
Pseudoscops clamator to Asio (but not Jamaican Owl)
Mazaria split from Synallaxis
Sphenocichla roberti to Stachyris (correcting past mistake)
Saltator atricollis to Saltatricula
Hemispingus/Poospiza-mess
Diuca speculifera to Idiopsar
Phrygilus concolor & plebejus
Haplospiza rustica to Spodiornis
Ixothraupis split from Tangara (but not Stilpnia, which must leave the remaining Tangara paraphyletic, no?)
Cyanocompsa brissonii & cyanoides to Cyanoloxia

Last edited:
No changes to ordinal sequence? They passed on it last year and I thought for sure they would impose it in 2017 updates.

Andy

No changes to ordinal sequence? They passed on it last year and I thought for sure they would impose it in 2017 updates.

Andy

Yes, my recollection is they said they would do it this year.

Also slightly surprised they are adding a whopping 11 new families, 5 of which are from the Carribean:

Modulatricidae (Dapple-throat and Allies); Rhodinocichlidae (Thrush-Tanager); Passerellidae (New World Buntings and Sparrows); Calyptophilidae (Chat-Tanagers); Phaenicophilidae (Hispaniolan Tanagers); Nesospingidae (Puerto Rican Tanager); Spindalidae (Spindalises); Zeledoniidae (Wrenthrush); Teretistridae (Cuban Warblers); Icteriidae (Yellow-breasted Chat); and Mitrospingidae (Mitrospingid Tanagers).
All have been discussed/recognized by others, so none are individual surprises, but this will now mean global family listers following Clements/eBird will have to add Cuba and Puerto Rico to their destination lists, plus pay more attention to central america.

I also believe several of the families are among the youngest so far recognized.

I really like how they show their work by citing references and links to BHL and other websites of those references.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back