• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador from Dec. 2018 (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

still few birds with out ID, need help

Mietek

Attachments

• BB6I2779.jpg
    BB6I2779.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 31
  • BB6I6924.jpg
    BB6I6924.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 32
  • BB6I7258.jpg
    BB6I7258.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 26
  • BB6I7397.jpg
    BB6I7397.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 28
  • BB6I7453.jpg
    BB6I7453.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 26
Yes, location often vital for id in a country like Ecuador

I'll make some suggestions: 1 Black-eared Hemispingus?, 2 (and maybe 4 and 5?) Golden-naped Tanager. Bird in post #2 Black-capped Tanager? .....

And .. when it comes to South America, there are actually very few people on Birdforum who help on the ID forum, with enough experience that you might be tempted to call them experts... compared to every other region.

I recently posted some relatively clear images of a pewee (Blackish or Smoke-coloured), hoping for a confident answer ... and didn't get one.

Yes, location often vital for id in a country like Ecuador

I'll make some suggestions: 1 Black-eared Hemispingus?, 2 (and maybe 4 and 5?) Golden-naped Tanager. Bird in post #2 Black-capped Tanager? .....

And .. when it comes to South America, there are actually very few people on Birdforum who help on the ID forum, with enough experience that you might be tempted to call them experts... compared to every other region.

I recently posted some relatively clear images of a pewee (Blackish or Smoke-coloured), hoping for a confident answer ... and didn't get one.

Well I'm not an expert but I agree with these. Just to add think 3 is female black-capped too: vent area is buffish in the putative Golden-naped tanagers but not for 3)

Most are juvenile birds so it's not rare people keeps away from these. I agree with Larry's ids, #3 also looks a Black-capped Tanager.

I would second Andrew and Larry here - "Ecuador", while a small country compared to say, Germany, has so much diversity that moving just a hundred km. or so can make a huge difference in the compositions of the list of expected birds; but conversely, knowing exactly where a bird is can really help with identification.

OK, I understand.
Regarding location:
1. Cabanas San Isidro, ca.80 km east of Quito to the east
2. San Tadeo, Mindo area, west of Quito
3. the same place
4.the same place
5. the same place
I hope it help

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back