• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 from the channel islands. (1 Viewer)

Looking again at the Stonechat.
I cannot copy your photo to enlarge it, but it appears to have a light rump slightly visible?
Could you post it on here so that region can be enlarged Isurus? Or supply other photos with a view to seeing the rump more clearly?
It may be just my broken eyes, but if it does have a light rump it could be a Siberian Stonechat. And that's a good bird!
Also, when was this photo taken?

Help me out, guys. I don't have much euro. experience, but what makes this bird a Stonechat and not Whinchat?

I see a pale eyebrow, dark auriculars and pale throat and short-looking tail. What am I missing, in terms of field marks, that makes it a Stonechat?

Thanks!

Looking again at the Stonechat.
I cannot copy your photo to enlarge it, but it appears to have a light rump slightly visible?
Could you post it on here so that region can be enlarged Isurus? Or supply other photos with a view to seeing the rump more clearly?
It may be just my broken eyes, but if it does have a light rump it could be a Siberian Stonechat. And that's a good bird!
Also, when was this photo taken?

Phil try this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4083307550_8d55bb200e_o.jpg

Taken about a week ago

Thanks for that Isurus!
False alarm sorry!
On enlargement you can make out a few dark centered rump feathers.
It is a Common Stonechat.
Very nice photos!

Thanks everyone. If I'm honest Phil you had me going pretty well as a siberian stonechat was seen in the area a while back but (a) I had no idea of the distinguishing features and (b) I have no fieldguide with me here so I was thinking I might have missed iding something awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back