• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinches (1 Viewer)

Pyxel

I was talking to someone a few weeks ago about bullfinches and how they are doing in the UK at the moment and he told me that they aren't declining so much now as they have been in recent years and in some areas they even seem to be increasing slightly.

Anyone know if this is true?

Certainly a big increase in numbers in my area the last two years, this year especially. A couple of years ago I was lucky to see one on my local patch. Last year there were 3-4 but this year there's easily a dozen plus. Even had our first one in the garden yesterday!

Started with a single pair visiting my garden about 5 years ago - now we have up to 8 visiting at a time, so we must be doing something right. They love sunflower hearts!

'Bullies' are doing rather well here locally. In fact they are one of few 'songbirds' that have shown a slight increase in numbers in Ireland in recent years.

I've definitely seen more in the past couple of years too.....whether this is down to their numbers increasing in Northumberland or me just getting better at seeing things I don't know? ;)

Always makes my day when I DO see them....such a cracking beauty of a bird :t:

We had up to five together in the garden last winter,only had one male sofar this winter but they usually peak about feb so plenty of time yet,you are right though upto three years ago we did not have any.

I only seem to get Bullfinches in my garden at this time of year. I've ringed 7 this month, and retrapped 5 others, in fact 8 of them turned at one time a few days ago!

Jon

Out yesterday around the Rugby area must have seen at least a dozen 5 together at one site so doing better round here used to be very thin on the ground a few years ago

I had four in my garden today (1M & 3F), here are some pics.

Attachments

• Bullfinch (F) Feeder_forum.jpg
    Bullfinch (F) Feeder_forum.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Bullfinch (M) Feeder_forum.jpg
    Bullfinch (M) Feeder_forum.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Bullfinch (M&F) Feeder_forum.jpg
    Bullfinch (M&F) Feeder_forum.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 66
Seen a nice female bullfinch down the river a few times over the past week , singing away, I assume it's the same hen each time. Also in the same area I watched a group of three bullfinches flying about in the trees, not sure what sexes they were but there was obviously a bit of fighting going on. I remember back in February 2008 watching a group of bullfinches feeding in the trees with a couple of the cocks in the group fighting.

One thing I've noticed with bullfinches is that, once you find them, they are one of the easiest birds to watch and they don't seem to care that you are there, even if you are quite close to them.

Thay are indeed gorgeous. I can't remember where, but I once read a text that started with "who doesn't feel happy when they see a Bullfinch?"

Who indeed. :)

Most probably!

I followed up a sighting reported on the local RSPB group webpage and saw a pair of Bullfinches just downstream along the river from my house last week, first time I'd seen any there but I saw Bullfinches in the town centre reserve a few times last winter so knew they were about. Great to see them even if the little beggars won't let me get a photo of them.

Me and wifey saw our first pair of Bullfinches at Sculthorpe Moor reserve two weeks ago.

Look superb close up from the hide when they were feeding at the table feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back