• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shenandoah/Blue Ridge/Great Smokies May/June (1 Viewer)

davidedric

Hi

We will be on holiday in the USA late May early June. Not only birding, but it would be nice to do some. Haven't done any in this part of the USA before, so just looking to see lots of species rather than rarities.

Our route will be Shenandoah NP, Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokies before returning to DC to fly home. Any suggestions for good spots or other resources gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi, Dave -
You could write a book on the many places to go in the areas you listed. In 1992, someone did -
Marcus Simpson wrote "Birds of the Blue Ridge Mountains". (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/150991284677?lpid=82)
It is obviously a bit dated but until the second edition he is currently working on comes out, this is the best source of birding information for the Blue Ridge out there. He concentrates on sites along or adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway but also digresses to other important birding locations in the vicinity.

Be advised that the Parkway from the Folk Art Center, north of Asheville to Mount Mitchell State Park is currently closed for repairs from year old landslide damage. Watch this site for changes in that status:
http://maps.nps.gov/blri/road-closures/
The last I heard, late May was the scheduled reopening.

If you are passing through Asheville, NC, I may be available to go birding with you one day or offer some advice on local birding.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link - I found a copy on UK eBay for £2.99 including postage.

Thanks, too, for the heads up on the road closure and the offers of help. Not sure yet of our exact schedule.

Dave

The Simpson's book recommended by Steve is great! I just want to say that if birding is your main goal you should make sure you do the South Falls birding loop (described in the book) in Shenandoah National Park. Start early in the morning, take food and water and be prepared for a huge selection of breeding birds. It has got to be one of the birdiest trail loops in the USA in Spring-early Summer. When I lived in the DC area I used to do it at least once every year in May, I was never disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back