• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acro London (1 Viewer)

Vespa

Tom Hines
Anyone else find this a little round headed and short stubby billed for the obvious? I watched it for about 20 seconds before it moved on, no call / song.

Attachments

• Reed Warbler9x.jpg
    Reed Warbler9x.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 392
An excellent shot of Reed Warbler!..a somewhat compressed posture from my experience, normally looking more attenuated!....and what appears to show a very short bill for scirpaceous? Can see how it might confuse those with a fertile mind.

An excellent shot of Reed Warbler!..a somewhat compressed posture from my experience, normally looking more attenuated!....and what appears to show a very short bill for scirpaceous? Can see how it might confuse those with a fertile mind.

It looks a bit long-tailed to me though ;)

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 180
I do hope your not trying to play to the gallery Richard!...This kind of Dick-foolery will only alienate you from the very serious birders on this thread! you might be wise to consider your "field-cred" for future postings....As you well know your image of Acrocephalus bananatorum is stretching the point somewhat too far! :eek!:

Hello,

I can't recall this a Reed Warbler, the bill is relatively short and the PP is rather long with visible 8 primaries and white tipped, rounded shape and kind face suggest to me a Marsh Warbler.

Omar

Where the picture taken? UK?

Last edited:
Overall colouration, rather plain looking tertials, uneven spacing to primary tips, tertials not overhanging the secondaries, and old looking primaries (as opposed to neat, crisp new ones with prominent white tips) all support reed warbler.

Overall colouration, rather plain looking tertials, uneven spacing to primary tips, tertials not overhanging the secondaries, and old looking primaries (as opposed to neat, crisp new ones with prominent white tips) all support reed warbler.

Yes, but some of these features are convenient also for MW, how can you exclude ERW with such bill shape, longish pp, a uniform coloration? Which IMO can not fit as secondary importance?
See: http://birdingfrontiers.com/2012/05/31/marsh-and-reed-warbler/
Omar

Last edited:
I think the colouration fits reed warbler better than any other acro, PP is fine for reed, bill shape admittedly is strange, but look at the nostril shape, also, much better for reed than marsh.

Let's not forget that it was photographed in London too. That doesn't rule out marsh or anything else, but it makes reed much, much more likely.

I would second that. Admittedly the bill is the short side for Reed warbler, but its shape does not favour Marsh warbler at all (the latter species typically shows a thicker based billn the lower mandible being oftn noticeably "swollen").

Here is a collection of Marsh warbler photographed recently, note the difference in overall colouration (grey-olive-straw colours in Marsh vs rich brown in Reed), bill shape and wear of plumage (especially the clear white tips to the primaries and the broad fringes to the tertials in pristine condition).

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 84
More Marsh warblers.

And I took the liberty to underexposed the OP image a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 105
I think the colouration fits reed warbler better than any other acro, PP is fine for reed, bill shape admittedly is strange, but look at the nostril shape, also, much better for reed than marsh.

Let's not forget that it was photographed in London too. That doesn't rule out marsh or anything else, but it makes reed much, much more likely.

Hello,

We can not judge the coloration with such light exposure, also what about the nostrils, they look fit with marsh warbler better, the only thing I would consider the location of photography, but does not mean it is impossible?

Omar

I would second that. Admittedly the bill is the short side for Reed warbler, but its shape does not favour Marsh warbler at all (the latter species typically shows a thicker based billn the lower mandible being oftn noticeably "swollen").

Here is a collection of Marsh warbler photographed recently, note the difference in overall colouration (grey-olive-straw colours in Marsh vs rich brown in Reed), bill shape and wear of plumage (especially the clear white tips to the primaries and the broad fringes to the tertials in pristine condition).

Hello Tib,

The swollen mandible is not well presented because the head is bended a little bit and not perfectly side on , but noticeably very thick and short, also the 3rd pic of the first MW set the bill of the MW is also does not show the swollen bill?

Omar

Mark - what is the difference in trill shape? I could go and look.,but I'm feeling lazy :)

Hello Tib,

The swollen mandible is not well presented because the head is bended a little bit and not perfectly side on , but noticeably very thick and short, also the 3rd pic of the first MW set the bill of the MW is also does not show the swollen bill?

Omar

True Omar, although the bill isn't the clearest part of this picture. But all the features already higlighted by others on this thread still stand, and I can add one more: the throat on the OP bird isn't especially white...

No doubt in my mind this is quite a clear Reed warbler.

I should add that I've kept away from this because it was an "obvious" Reed Warbler.....

however you can see the outer web of the3rd primary and its not overwhelmingly supportive of Reed!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back