• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unstreaked Acro in London..... (1 Viewer)

KenM

Shot several days ago, essentially concolourously pale upperparts, whitish unders, creamy yellow toes with a ''seemingly'' longish bill?

Comments welcome

Attachments

• A Marsh Acro..jpg
    A Marsh Acro..jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 628
  • A pale acro 2..jpg
    A pale acro 2..jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Another acro 3..jpg
    Another acro 3..jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 598
  • Acro down below 2..jpg
    Acro down below 2..jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 362
Here's another (not very good shot) but...possibly because of the angle, might just suggest a deeper bill?

Attachments

• Acro down below 3..jpg
    Acro down below 3..jpg
    194 KB · Views: 356
Is this the bird at Leyton, if so, it looked a lot more pallid in life?

Doesn't look short-primaried or pointy-faced enough for a Blyth's Reed, are you thinking Marsh?

I struggle to see Marsh Warbler in this. At these angles the pale fringes would be very obvious. For me a Reed Warbler where long bills are not that unusual although this seems to be at the extreme.

Is this the bird at Leyton, if so, it looked a lot more pallid in life?

Doesn't look short-primaried or pointy-faced enough for a Blyth's Reed, are you thinking Marsh?

I agree, in the flesh it appeared somewhat paler to my eye compared to the shots.

I believe there are at best three options on the table:

A worn faded adult A.scirpaceous (Reed Warbler) but, I found this somewhat difficult to reconcile with the taxa, in as much as IMO always showing warm tints to upper and lower parts, to a greater or lesser extent, this bird appeared devoid of such warmth.

Although Marsh Warbler on the face of it appears to be a better fit, and accepting the pale ''uppers'' as being a possible indicator of that species, the ''unders'' did look ''exceptionally'' white to my eye.

However, as fanciful as it may seem, how do we exclude ssp.fuscus from the equation, as I understand it, this ssp is on the German list..to quote Halftwo, emarginations might help, If only to reign in the....''imaginations'' Dunno ?

FWIW I think it's not Blyth's Reed or Marsh but given the poor views wouldn't like to say which spp of Reed it might be. Eurasian must be the most likely though to miming might lend credence to s more Easterly origin. It's going to need some better shots to confirm it.

Still there today and observer mentions paleness and long-billedness. I might be encouraged that Marsh Warbler is not so fanciful after all! Definitely has pale feet. If any one is an Acro expert or has a decent lens it could be worth a bash.

Attachments

• Acro site.jpg
    Acro site.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 234
I saw the bird yesterday and I think it is certainly a good candidate for Caspian Reed Warbler, but I agree with the need for more photos but also feedback with those who are familiar with the finer points on how to separate Eurasian from Caspian.

I think its a Eurasian Reed Warbler tho primary projection is fairly short, so probably juvenile. Think I can count 8 primary tips, BRW usually shows 6 visible - though that is hard to gauge.

Marsh IMO, show a less pointed, less needle-shaped bill, and a slightly shorter one. But of course mindful of overlap between species.

Caspian Reed would IMO more likely show a paler and broader fore super, a bit like BRW.

Be interested to see what others think. The concolorous upperparts could indeed indicate Marsh or BRW.

That bill is a whoppa though on that last (4th) photo, looks vast - is it the same bird? Large Billed Reed Warbler anyone??8-P

Last edited:
More Images of Stuart Fisher's, Leyton, London, adult Reed Warbler with worn plumage.

The first two images were taken on Saturday 22nd November, an overcast day with intermittent showers (Image no.2. showing the emargination on p3 in alignment with end of tertials), an A.scirpaceous requisite.

IMO the lighting was more neutral, and gave a more accurate interpretation of the bird's paleness, the other images were taken under brighter conditions, giving the uppers an ''A.palustris'' look, with strikingly white underparts.

Cheers

Attachments

• Acro.Tim 1..jpg
    Acro.Tim 1..jpg
    90 KB · Views: 274
  • Acro.Tim 3..jpg
    Acro.Tim 3..jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 251
  • AcroStone.jpg
    AcroStone.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 181
  • ACR.3.jpg
    ACR.3.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 212
  • ACR.5.jpg
    ACR.5.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 202
More Images of Stuart Fisher's, Leyton, London, adult Reed Warbler with worn plumage.

The first two images were taken on Saturday 22nd November, an overcast day with intermittent showers (Image no.2. showing the emargination on p3 in alignment with end of tertials), an A.scirpaceous requisite.

IMO the lighting was more neutral, and gave a more accurate interpretation of the bird's paleness, the other images were taken under brighter conditions, giving the uppers an ''A.palustris'' look, with strikingly white underparts.

Cheers

Actually I found it (albeit mistaking it in very poor views whilst twitching Stuart's Whitethroats, so probably best to gloss over that;))

Why has it got pale legs and bright feet? Marsh Warbler feature? Seems to change shape in each photo, yes I know they move8-P but it looks quite Blyth's like in the last of your shots!

Where's Jane when you need her?

I doubt this is a Marsh, it just does not look/feel like one to me.

However, and despite the relatively long PP and P3 emargination seemingly situated quite high on the feather edge , some of the photos in the last batch do give a Blyth's impression, at least to my eyes.

But I guess such a showy bird at such a late date for the UK has been quite extensively scrutinized and Blyth's conclusively ruled out? Or?

However, and despite the relatively long PP and P3 emargination seemingly situated quite high on the feather edge , some of the photos in the last batch do give a Blyth's impression, at least to my eyes.

But I guess such a showy bird at such a late date for the UK has been quite extensively scrutinized and Blyth's conclusively ruled out? Or?

I'm relatively confident that it isn't Blyth's Tib, I think pp (as long as tertials), and the apparent position of the emargination on p3 (not being within the tertial range) discount that possibility.

However because of the birds pallor, I'm wondering if Caspian Reed Warbler might be a consideration, I've certainly never seen RW looking like this?

Attachments

• A yellow-legged Acro..jpg
    A yellow-legged Acro..jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 149
  • A long billed Acro shot.jpg
    A long billed Acro shot.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

My problem is that it has been anything but showy:C

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back